• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Picture of my 3rd model Dragoon

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kevin Makel

36 Cal.
Reaction score
A new to me ASM 3rd Model Dragoon.I got it and a holster from a CAS shooter who bought, kept it for about 10 years, fired only once, and now decides to sell out of Cap and Ball to concentrate on cartridge guns.

BPrevolvers016-1-2.jpg

BPrevolvers015-1.jpg

These are beautiful, powerful revolvers.
Even today, they are as powerful as a .44 Spec.
Nice piece!
I've collected almost all of the Colt's Revolvers,
Walker, Whitneyville model Dragoon, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Model Dragoons, '51 Navy, all Colt 2nd, and 3rd Gen guns. They used to be $325-450!
Now they all run about $500 on up! :shake:

I think so. I think he didn't like all the steps in loading a cap and ball. He's happy with his simple to operate Ruger Vaquero.

I love shooters who have to see just how much lead they can fling downrange. I have several Black powder firearms I have scored because of impatient shooters. I picked up a almost NIB Uberti Walker from a fellow at work because he just hated the loading proceedure. Cost me one Franklin! Great looking 3rd Model. I hope you have many hours of great shooting!

Fill 'er up with 45 grains of 3Fg, a wonder-wad, and a .454 Ball, press down good on the loading lever, cap it and then hold on! You're in for a real blast!

I Chrono'd the above load to past 1050 FPS, if memory serves right. :shocked2: :)

Only the mighty Walker will hold more powder than the 3rd Model Dragoon :grin: :) .

Dave

im exactly the opposite. i refuse to pay to feed a cartrige gun when a c&b with a little practice and skill can be just as effective, well, at least for six shots. lol.

Border Ruffian said:
A new to me ASM 3rd Model Dragoon.I got it and a holster from a CAS shooter who bought, kept it for about 10 years, fired only once, and now decides to sell out of Cap and Ball to concentrate on cartridge guns.

BPrevolvers015-1.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but where are the leaf sights? I have an Armi San Marco Colt type 3rd model Dragoon, and it has flip sights.

CP

Claypipe said:
Border Ruffian said:

BPrevolvers015-1.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong, but where are the leaf sights? I have an Armi San Marco Colt type 3rd model Dragoon, and it has flip sights.

CP

Mine does not have leaf or flip sights. I heard that ASM made a limited number of them. I think you are lucky to have one. I never actually seen one, but I have seen pictures. I always wondered if the flip sights were better than the hammer notch sight, I suspect that they are better.

I've never used a flip-down sight on a horse pistol, but I have hit a set of Scott Air Tanks at 135 yards with my Walker and a 52 grain charge of 3Fg Goex. Several times in fact. The revolver is out-of-the-box and wins competitions against single-shot pistols, so I'm not missing the fold-down rear sight. The longer sight radius may make up for the difference in the design flaw (notch)in the hammer.

dave

The original 3rd Model Dragoons with flip up rear sights were made to be used with a shoulder stock.

In addition to the flip up rear sights the butt of the grip was notched for the stocks hook and the frame was the "4 screw" design with the protruding screw heads on both sides, also to engage the shoulder stock.

These Dragoons that were made for use were usually (but not always) equipped with a steel backstrap.

The sights were somewhat of a rarity because more than a few of the 3rd Model guns that were made for use with the butt stock did not have them.

No--they have both a wasp nest and hot air in them, especially in the Summer :rotf: :haha: :shocked2: :) :grin: .

Yes, they're "MT"!

Dave

Latest posts

Back