• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Picking up a Pedersoli Frontier tomorrow, what should I look for?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, I was looking for a Hatfield here recently, and I kind of screwed that one up by not having a good way to transfer funds to the seller, so tomorrow I will be picking up a Pederosli Frontier locally.
My research has pegged this as a "Hatfield", though through several iterations of the original Hatfield I was looking for.
I think this is a better decision, as Pedersoli will be around, and if I need any, parts are still available.
Heck, I just may get an original Hatfield lock to install, who knows...

Meeting at 10:00 am tomorrow, so somewhat urgent!

Shot maybe 10 to 20 times, looks fine in pictures sent, etc.
Coming with extra flints, liners, and suede case.
I have a bore light for a .50 cal, so that is going with me, aesthetically it is in nice shape, but....
What else should I do or look for when I go to purchase it?
I have to admit, I am new to flintlocks, so looking to you gentlemen as to what to initially look at when examining my new "Hatfield"... Heheh?

The Frontier..... is not fancy Maple, and really just what I wanted, and a flint lock on top of it all!
I don't think I will sleep well tonight..... Heheh… :rolleyes:

Yeah, I am done with the cheaper (less expensive) "kits", and moving up a notch for now....

DSC_2351.JPG

I see the front sight is not been filed down so after breaking in the barrel with a hundred or two of shots I would expect that you will be filing on that to bring your poi up. Most of these that I have heard of shoot low from the factory. You may also consider taking a scotch pad to the rifling to take sharp edges off if it cuts patches. I think you will really enjoy this flinter. Greg :)

These are not known as great sparking locks. I inleted several new locks in these things back in the 80's when everybody just had to have one. Nothing worse that a flint gun with a less than dependable lock, probably a reason it's only been shot 10-20 times. I'd save my money and get something with a Chambers lock. This one is painfully plain even for these.

I'm positive that you are going to want to plan on getting a good ramrod for it or at least plan on using your range rod to load it because the ones that come with it from the factory are complete junk. Hopefully the previous owner has already replaced it. Greg :)

These are not known as great sparking locks. I inleted several new locks in these things back in the 80's when everybody just had to have one. Nothing worse that a flint gun with a less than dependable lock, probably a reason it's only been shot 10-20 times. I'd save my money and get something with a Chambers lock. This one is painfully plain even for these.
I agree completely. I replaced my Frontier lock with an L&R RPL lock. It required some wood removal from the lock mortise, but it is a dependable sparker now.

I agree completely. I replaced my Frontier lock with an L&R RPL lock. It required some wood removal from the lock mortise, but it is a dependable sparker now.
Back when I was fixing these guns L&R hadn't invented their line of replacement locks. I had to fill the lock mortice with a piece of wood and reinlet a new lock that worked. If I recall I most often used L&R's "Classic". At least that's what I think L&R called it. It's been a long time since I have taken work like that on.
Most often I'd also put under lugs on the barrel and drill for pins and then inlet the trigger guard so it didn't look so goofy sticking up there on top of the wood.

Replace the lock with a Chambers or L&R and get rid of the stupid patent breech Pedersoli insists on and you might have a decent rifle.

I predict if you stick around your new Pedersoli will be sold to fund a good custom or semi-custom flintlock, maybe even one you built yourself. There really are no comparisons vs an Italian mass produced gun.

Much appreciated Critter Getter, and I did not sleep too well last night.... heheh, leaving in about 1/2 hour to pick it up!
Well, by now your on your way but for anyone who's thinking about buying a muzzleloading rifle in person be sure to take a couple of clean, lightly oiled cleaning patches and a cleaning jag that fits the caliber with you.

Run the cleaning patch down the bore and pay attention to how much force you need to apply to the ramrod while your doing it.

If the force needed to push the patch down to the breech plug is smooth and constant, that's good.

If the force needed suddenly gets much easier to push and then it returns to the same force needed above this "loose" area, thank the seller and go on your way.
The "loose" area says the barrel has a slight bulge in it. It is "ringed".
This can happen, even on a gun that has only been shot a few times. All it takes is for the gun to be fired without ramming the ball all the way down to the powder load. If the barrel has been ringed, it will never shoot accuretly and there is a very remote possibility that the barrel is dangerous to shoot.

Once you've run the patch to the breech and removed it, check for signs of rust.
A little red rust won't hurt anything but if the patch shows signs of a lot of rust there is a good chance that the bore is pitted. Again, a good reason for not buying the gun unless the price is VERY cheap.

Good luck with your new rifle and have fun with it. :)

Thanks everyone..... it checked out just fine.

The bore is as clean as all of my other ones I "assembled" and have not fired..... yet.;)
This particular rifle feels very good in my hands, nice balance, but shooting it will determine everything in the end.

I have read some good and bad about the locks, so that also will be gauged when I do go to shoot it.
Low expectations on my part will be a good starting point.

I think I did good on this one, good price, good condition, etc.
They guy I bought it from cannot shoot anymore due to bad knees and copd….
I feel bad for him actually. Decent guy!

Couple pictures of it here at home.
The stock is very, very dark, and I do like that also.
There is actually some rather nice woodgrain when it is in the sunlight.
Now don't make fun of the fringed case, that came with it..... Heheh….
Time to get her up on the wall with the rest of them.

20190221_123317.jpg

20190221_123335.jpg

20190221_123343.jpg

20190221_123408.jpg

20190221_123420.jpg

I’ve got a frontier in .36 cal, I’ve had zero issues with the lock, sparks great and and is plenty fast, it’s been totally reliable in the squirrel woods and deadly accurate, still on the original wooden ram rod also.

Congratulations railshot. :)

If it were mine, the first thing I would do would be to remove the lock and try to push the shank of 1/16" drill bit thru the touch hole.
If it goes thru, fine but if it doesn't, I would chuck the bit in my electric hand drill and drill out the hole using the drill bit.

IMO Almost all of the flintlock guns made today have a vent hole that is too small for reliable ignition. Drilling it out will greatly improve the reliability.

Thanks for the input on this one everybody.
The stock is for sure Walnut, and rather attractive from my point of view.
I am a little tempted to see if I can somehow get just a bit more shine out of it though.
Shame to hide the walnut like that.

Zonie,
I already have plans to open up the touch hole if it is not 1/16th already, and I have been doing a lot of searching this afternoon, and it appears that Pedersoli did improve their locks considerably since the early ones came out.

This one is only 2 years old, so it should fit into that category.... fingers crossed.

I am just tickled as a dog to finally have my "Hatfield"... and putting this next to a real Hatfield on my computer, I see no differences other than in finishes, and what looks like a better lock on the Pedersoli.

Get some Bri wax. Ebony or dark brown. Google it. It will really put the shine on you're looking for. Put it on all the metal as well. Wax on...wax off sort of thing. You can go out in the rain with it and watch the water bead up and run off. Good stuff, can't live with out it.

The Hatfield will have a maple stock and they came in two or maybe three grades. As far as the locks go I don’t have a clue if there is a difference. I know my Pedersoli flinter sparks just fine. The vent hole was already big enough for the 1/16th drill bit and ignites the main charge very well. Good luck with your new flinter and I agree with another poster above that claims you will be looking for a custom soon! Have fun! Greg :)

I have read some good and bad about the locks, so that also will be gauged when I do go to shoot it.
Low expectations on my part will be a good starting point.

I have basically the identical rifle. First got it and ignition was sometimes iffy. Drilled the touch hole and it was better. Found that it was a little picky about flints and how they were mounted, but learning is part of the game with flinters. Never another issue once I learned how it liked to be sparked.

Get some Bri wax. Ebony or dark brown. Google it. It will really put the shine on you're looking for. Put it on all the metal as well. Wax on...wax off sort of thing. You can go out in the rain with it and watch the water bead up and run off. Good stuff, can't live with out it.

Man, that Briwax sure is hard to find round these parts.
Going to have to order some online I guess.....

In other news, I really love this .50 as far as looks and feel.

Yes, I have read almost every post here about them over the past day, and some members have done some nice looking modifications to them, but I am someone that likes to keep things as they were made.... heheh, and this one is going to stay as is, unless I do have issues with the lock or something.
Now if I find out that the stock came originally very matt looking, I wont do anything to it either.... time to read the owners manual I got with it.

Back