• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Photos of Pennsylvania long-rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockman1966

32 Cal
Reaction score
50DD7DE8-E416-44C9-B909-21FCB82B487F.jpeg
4849EC77-5C9F-4236-8B32-C12476D3D95E.jpeg
908F1847-02A2-49C7-9428-64883BC36D48.jpeg
D718C628-F334-4714-870D-3C4AF02B28AA.jpeg
59F989AF-BAA9-4728-8162-3E12095B1A01.jpeg
EDBE3595-7D0F-465F-B01E-CBB72C8A257C.jpeg
4A2333FE-DC67-4AF3-84C5-525308D8793A.jpeg
1A8C2F4D-E0DF-4CF7-BF7C-3769D918C3F5.jpeg
EF5A8D7E-37B7-40EC-9185-271E8BCE8583.jpeg
6E3E0B81-1F19-4324-BA63-2215F00B9F25.jpeg
This was found in our family’s farmhouse basement in Chester Co., PA. The only markings are Dreppert. It’s 55.5” in length. It was missing the hammer, which my father replaced and, my guess, is not historically correct.
Considering having this restored. Chester Co. is adjacent to Lancaster Co., so the gunsmith has to be from the area.
Anyone have knowledge of Dreppert-made rifles or observations about this one?
Thanks!

View attachment 127600View attachment 127602View attachment 127610View attachment 127611View attachment 127604View attachment 127605View attachment 127606View attachment 127612View attachment 127608View attachment 127609This was found in our family’s farmhouse basement in Chester Co., PA. The only markings are Dreppert. It’s 55.5” in length. It was missing the hammer, which my father replaced and, my guess, is not historically correct.
Considering having this restored. Chester Co. is adjacent to Lancaster Co., so the gunsmith has to be from the area.
Anyone have knowledge of Dreppert-made rifles or observations about this one?
Thanks!

Wow! Great find! It looks to be converted from a flintlock & bored out to a smoothbore!

It is possible that only the lock was made by Dreppert - there are many others that have a deeper knowledge but in my opinion I would not rush to restore this piece - I like it just the way it is.
This was always a smoothbore based on the butt plate and side plates and the octagon to round barrel - IMO

Below is some info for your consideration

Andrew Dreppert (1806- ). gunsmith. The tax lists of 1826, 1827 and 1828 are missing. In 1829 Andrew Treppert, freeman locksmith, appeared. In 1836 he was first called Drepperd. In 1847, 1848 and 1852 he was taxed as a smith. In the U.S. Census of 1850, Andrew Dreppert, gunsmith, gave his age as 44 years. In the U.S. Census of 1860, he was still listed as a gunsmith, but gave his age as 50 years. His shop was located on W. King St., corner of Mulberry St., Lancaster city. [tax; Boyd's Lancaster Dir., 1857.]

Christian Drepperd (1861- ). gunsmith. Lancaster city. [U.S. Census of 1880].

George Dreppert (1787- ). gunsmith 1849, Lancaster city. [tax].

Henry Dreppert [Treppert]. gunsmith. The name of Henry Treppert, gunsmith, was carried on the tax records be¬tween 1829 and 1840 in Lancaster city. The tax list always listed him as "Treppert." His guns are marked "Drepperd."

John Dreppert [Treppert] (1787-1864). gunsmith and gun lock maker. John Drepperd's shop was located at the corner of Mulberry and King Sts., Lancaster city. From 1810 through 1813 he was called a locksmith and his name was spelled Treppert. In 1814 he was taxed as a gun lock maker, and that listing continued through 1825. The tax lists of 1826 through 1828 no longer exist. From 1829 through 1840 he was taxed as a gunsmith. Tax lists always spelled the name "Treppert," while he signed his guns, "Drepperd." Gun locks marked, "Drepperd," are found on rifles made by many Lancaster gunsmiths.
The U.S. Census of 1850 gave his age as 63. In 1860 the census called him a master gunsmith and gave his age as 73. In the census, on his signed work and in his estate his name was spelled Drepperd. "Inventory of the goods and chattels which were of John Dreppard, late of the City of Lancaster, deceased .... 10th day of November, Anno Domini 1864 .... household goods bequeathed to Jno. Dreppard, $106. The Gunsmith's tools, ditto, to do, $50 ...."

John Dreppert, Jr. (1818- ). gunsmith. John Dreppert, Jr. was first taxed in 1833 as a freeman laborer. In 1837 he was first taxed as a freeman gunsmith. In 1841 he was taxed as an inmate gunsmith. In 1852 he was taxed as a smith. The U.S. Census of 1850 showed John Drepperd, age 34, gunsmith, in Lancaster city; and the 1860 census showed John Drepperd, gunsmith, aged 42 years, working in the southwest ward of Lancaster city. In 1837 John was taxed as a freeman gunsmith. He was active through 1875. His shop was located at 15 Water St., Lancaster city. [tax; Boyd's Dirs., 1855, 1857, 1861, 1873-74. His name was given on tax and census records as Drepperd. We may note that there was a third John Dreppert, son of Jacob, a rope¬maker, taxed from 1834 through 1852, usually as a laborer.

Michael Drepperd (1818- ). gunsmith. W. King St., Lan¬caster city. [U.S. Censuses of 1860 and 1870].

William Dreppert (1816- ). gunsmith. William Dreppert was first taxed in Lancaster city in 1837 as an inmate smith. He was taxed as a smith through 1852.

Last edited:
When I lived in the Shenandoah Valley a friend brought me a civil war Brown Bess and a broken stock from a very slim rifle that had extensive inletting and wire inlay but everything was stripped out, just the naked stock. They found them in his Grandmothers civil war house attic under some boards! Man I only ever find problems under the boards in my house!

Its a fowler, not a longrifle. The fowler guard in addition to lack of cheek piece and patchbox defines it. I think I'm seeing a rounded toe which is also a fowler feature vs a flat toe that would be seen on a rifle or "smooth rifle".

The engraved buttplate and trigger guard in additon to the curly trigger are out of character with an uncarved stock. Likewise, the 2 pieces of brass under the lockbolts as opposed to a single sideplate suggest percussion period. I can't tell for sure from the photos, but suspect the lock was converted from flint to percusion, so again, suggests to me a later restock of earlier parts.

If there is no significant signature on the barrel, the cost of restoration would be more than what the restored gun would be worth.

Last edited:
Thanks for the wealth of knowledge of info! Will research “Fowler”, which I have never heard of.
I tend to agree that restirRuon is cost-prohibitive and probably unnecessary. I guess my intent would be to have this representative if it’s original state. I’ve always though this was originally a flintlock.
Thanks again for everyone’s feedback.

Actually, Fowler is the term for a person who hunted fowl. The smoothbore gun used to hunt fowl is a fowling gun, but modern usage has adapted the term fowler to also imply a gun used to hunt fowl.

The lock does appear to have been originally a flintlock with pan ground off to accommodate the drum. I see what may have been a hole for the screw that holds the feather spring in place, but not the hole for the tip on the spring to locate the feather (frizzen) spring. It would help to see the inside of the lock.

Based on the times listed for the probable gunmakers that built the fowling gun, it is likely that a flintlock was modified for a new build of a percussion fowling gun.

As a boy I remember the stock being a medium brown. My father a filled a stock deficit with wood filler that was noticeably lighter in color. Should this wood be oiled or treated in any way?

As a boy I remember the stock being a medium brown. My father a filled a stock deficit with wood filler that was noticeably lighter in color. Should this wood be oiled or treated in any way?
Do you recall when it was that your father replaced the hammer and filled the stock deficit?
I have used mineral spirits, applied as a dampened cloth, to clean old(er) stocks and metal. I have also used water and dish-detergent (sparingly) on some gun stocks.
I have used boiled linseed oil on many older arms, but there are many other 'finishes' used by others.
I use BLO because it is tedious to apply and buff and I have the time and enjoy tedious stuff. :rolleyes:

Do you recall when it was that your father replaced the hammer and filled the stock deficit?
I have used mineral spirits, applied as a dampened cloth, to clean old(er) stocks and metal. I have also used water and dish-detergent (sparingly) on some gun stocks.
I have used boiled linseed oil on many older arms, but there are many other 'finishes' used by others.
I use BLO because it is tedious to apply and buff and I have the time and enjoy tedious stuff. :rolleyes:
Yes, I do. Early ‘70s. Doubt anything has been done since then.

There’s more to the back history of the Toomey farm outside Coatesville, PA. My great grand-father ran a livery business, keeping horses on 300 acres. The two stories that fascinated me as boy were that a portion of a slightly-famous silent film was shoot on the on the property and the second was Wild Bill Cody wintered his horses from his traveling Wild West Show; there are photos (stereo-graphic) to support both of these stories. My mother knows the nMe of the silent film; I’ll add this soon.
The farm was directly along the East King’s Highway, which became the Lincoln Highway. Most of that farm was sold off to pay taxes. A portion sold to the state for the Exton Bypass by the VA Hospital. The rest sold to real estate developers.
Here’s a drawing of the farm done when my great-grandfather acquired it. The main house is still there. The barn along the East Kong’s Highway burned down. The Springhouse, spring still flowing under it, still stands.

Attachments

• 7F2381B0-8BC4-4BF0-9797-7476CBD3532A.jpeg
    7F2381B0-8BC4-4BF0-9797-7476CBD3532A.jpeg
    71.7 KB · Views: 70
There’s more to the back history of the Toomey farm outside Coatesville, PA. My great grand-father ran a livery business, keeping horses on 300 acres. The two stories that fascinated me as boy were that a portion of a slightly-famous silent film was shoot on the on the property and the second was Wild Bill Cody wintered his horses from his traveling Wild West Show; there are photos (stereo-graphic) to support both of these stories. My mother knows the nMe of the silent film; I’ll add this soon.
The farm was directly along the East King’s Highway, which became the Lincoln Highway. Most of that farm was sold off to pay taxes. A portion sold to the state for the Exton Bypass by the VA Hospital. The rest sold to real estate developers.
Here’s a drawing of the farm done when my great-grandfather acquired it. The main house is still there. The barn along the East Kong’s Highway burned down. The Springhouse, spring still flowing under it, still stands.
The silent film filmed on our property was, “Beyond the Water Tower.”

Back