• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

photos of jim chambers guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK I don't make rifles for pay..Id starve!! :redface: :rotf:
But to clarify. Lets use the example from this thread. Somone is wanting to look at particular types of guns, Mike or Roy or someone else who is a professional builder has good pictures (Who else would be as likely to have them) Is it OK for them to post links/photos???

It would be a real shame if people objected to that. In fact I would be suspicious of buying a gun from someone who didn't want to post pictures of their work...

All that avarice aside. The people I want to learn from by seeing pictures of their work are especially the pros who have really studied the field and have the most developed skill... I want to see amateur first guns too, cause I appreciate what it takes and any gun is an education...but truth is some are more valuable than others..I hope this forum will not become so inoffensive/politically correct that we all lose the ability to see the fine guns as they are produced... Especially from those who build the tutorials and spend so much of their time mentoring the rest of us...
my .02 worth :hatsoff:

DrTimBoone said:
OK I don't make rifles for pay..Id starve!! :redface: :rotf:
But to clarify. Lets use the example from this thread. Somone is wanting to look at particular types of guns, Mike or Roy or someone else who is a professional builder has good pictures (Who else would be as likely to have them) Is it OK for them to post links/photos???

Yes, they may (and regularly do) within the context of the thread. :grin:

The rules are not meant to prevent the builders from sharing their expertise. They exist to prevent abuses. There's a difference in sharing what you know and selling what you make. Although one may lead to the other and that's okay. :grin:

I just posted something that may help clarify the intent and application of the rules.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/196610[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now I'm not the sharpest frog in the drawer, and I'm still a bit confused. :haha:
Not to worry though I am sure I will eventually catch on. :hmm: :v

Well, technically I guess I've been busting the rules :hmm: I'm the one who's famous for posting "just off the bench" photos of guns. Unfortunately I build those guns for a living......but, I don't recall ever mentioning that in the same post, unless specifically asked by another poster.. But there again, if you're a regular on this board you'd have to be a dim bulb if you didn't know I build guns for a living.
I'll be the fist to admit that I generate orders from being a member of this board and posting photos of my work, but, that isn't my only purpose of spending more time than I should here, I feel I contibute just as much if not more in othere areas such as history, how to's, chicken folk lore and general BS. :haha:
So, if I need to stop posting pictures of my work, somebody better let me know. I never got the email, so I had no idea. I'd love to see Roy's work, and it's disapointing that there would be some rule against him posting it just because he does it for a living.

"Yes, they may (and regularly do) within the context of the thread."

Using this as sort of a saftey net here you go.

Chambers Smooth rifle stocked in Cherry

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

I darkened the brass and lightly pitted the barrel at request. I also used lye to darken the cherry stock.

Roy said:

"Yes, they may (and regularly do) within the context of the thread."

Using this as sort of a saftey net here you go.

Chambers Smooth rifle stocked in Cherry

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

IMG_2035.jpg

IMG_2036.jpg

IMG_2039.jpg

I darkened the brass and lightly pitted the barrel at request. I also used lye to darken the cherry stock.

Beautiful gun. Thanks for sharing.

Mike Brooks said:
... I'm the one who's famous for posting "just off the bench" photos of guns. ....I build those guns for a living......but, I don't recall ever mentioning that in the same post..

Keep up the good work.

Also, here's an example of an acceptable post.

No mention of "clients", "sales", "prices", "websites", etc. Just a great looking knife. If the poster is a "pro" knife maker, that's fine. People can contact him and inquire.
[url] http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/196611[/url]/

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice gun Roy. :thumbsup: Your brass mounts look like steel in the pics, must be the lighting. Those Chambers smooth rifle kits make into a fine gun, and they go together real slick.
I like the color you got with lye too, never tried it myself.

The brass is darn near brown, it'll lighten up a bit in the areas where rubbed. The lye made me a bit nervouse, but I did test it out on a scrap peice of cherry first. Sort of makes me wonder on what it would do to walnut. This was my first Chambers kit, really sort of a fun project to work on. Wish I could have added more carving to it though.

Thanks for the compliments, and sorry for any confusion.

What an awesome thread. Where great photos were posted, and a potential "issue" resolved with nary a bad word spoken.

:hatsoff: to Mike, Roy, and especially Claude. :applause:

:applause: Very nice Roy!! I really do like those guns. I am thinking about building one of them as my next project. Hadn't thought of doing it in cherry... :hmm: now lets see if my cherry fowler with lye stain will come close to that color.

Thanks for sharing!!

Claude, appreciate the clarification!! :thumbsup:

Be very careful when using lye, its mean and nasty stuff. It does need to be neutralized with vinegar. :v Thanks.

If you want to neutralize lye or other acids......,a heavy Baking Soda water solution will do great. This is what we do when we get to a customers house who has dumped it down a drain line. Soda is a good one.

Folks- I’m the proud owner of the long-cut cherry stocked Chamber’s Smooth Rifle Roy finished. I have to tell yall that the pictures don’t do his work justice. It’s long and slender and elegant and beautifully fitted. He did beg me to carve more but I had an original example in mind that has minimal decoration. I’ll let him go a bit wild with the next one.

As I have told Roy many times, I could not be more pleased with the gun.

Audubon/Roy,
I want to talk a little more about this smoothbore.....

• Did you have to send that stock off to be carved or does Chambers offer that gun in Cherry.
  • How did you pit the barrel
  • How did you get the brass to turn that beautiful color
  • Does it have a cheek piece

I think it turned out rather nice, I see that Roy even lined up the screws on the trigger guard..... Roy and I have a lot in common.

:rotf:

Slowpoke said:
Audubon/Roy,
I want to talk a little more about this smoothbore.....

• Did you have to send that stock off to be carved or does Chambers offer that gun in Cherry.
  • How did you pit the barrel
  • How did you get the brass to turn that beautiful color
  • Does it have a cheek piece

I think it turned out rather nice, I see that Roy even lined up the screws on the trigger guard..... Roy and I have a lot in common.

:rotf:

Audubon requires a bit more of a trigger pull than what Chambers usually offers. So I called Chambers and they just happened to have the smooth rifle in a cherry stock "left long" (basically the buttplate was never intlet). Barbie said that she had that stock for two years, someone ordered it and never bought it. So it was just waiting for me. :grin:

Are you trying to make me give away all of my trade secrets?? :blah: :rotf:

yep it has a cheek piece.

:grin:

alright here you go

Perma blue and bleach

Take a tooth brush dip it in the Perma Blue and sort of spritz it along the barrel leaving random little sprinkeled blotches along the steel. Using a pvc tube capped at one end (big enough to let the barrel slide into) fill with bleach and put the barrel in for 30 minutes. The bleach attacks the Perma Blue not any of the steel that does not have the PB on it. Leaving a random pitted pattern. Heck of a lot easier than boiling. :thumbsup:

I also used the PB on the brass with several good even coats.

Back