• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Petrolum products and black powder fouling....a chemical analysis.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried many lubricants when I began shooting paper patched slug rifles, all of which I compared to sperm whale oil that I was able to get a can of. Bear oil, Nyoil, Jojoba, Neatsfoot, you name it. Neatsfoot oil worked as well in my rifle (at the target) as anything else I tried, so I stayed with that. Jojoba is moleculary almost a perfect replacement for whale oil, though I don't know if it has same moisture displacing properties. Nyoil is great, and is often used in clock and watch repair to replace whale oil but it is expensive. I use it to lubricate locks and triggers. For cloth patched picket rifles I use Neatsfoot oil. For offhand rifles using a cloth patch I use spit because it works and keeps the fouling soft. In cold weather I use Neatsfoot oil because it doesn't freeze. I clean all my barrels with plain unheated water and no soap because it works.

Jojoba works like any other oil. It is very slippery. I let my friend try some, the bottle slipped out of his hand and broke on the ground. : )

The plan is to leave California. Sad because my family has lived in the same part of the same town for 160 years. I have a lot of connections and activities here. I am in 6 clubs. IT took a long time to get in to some. We are shopping Northern Idaho. Hopefully I can convince the local gun clubs I am OK and find some new friends. The biggest fear is being a social leper.
I cant stand clubs and ranges. I cant stand people in general. All I do Is wander the forest of the pnw alone and in peace with a black powder rifle

Since modern oils have been mentioned, this one strictly for cleaning and storage... Anyone use Lucas gun oil? I bought a bottle for after cleaning because most of their other products have been good for me in cars.

It looks like a 2 cycle oil.

And again, only for cleaning and storage use, not as a patch lube.

If there are any machinists by trade out there, I have found Hangsterfers S-787 to work wonders for black powder. I would guess any water soluble synthetic vege based cutting oil will work.

Various types of rendered animal fats have worked well for hundreds of years. Not saying that the new things don't work, but the old saying applies here: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Fired a few shots with T/C Patriots today that I hadn't touched in six months. Last time I cleaned 'em I used Bore Butter to lube the bore as a rust preventative and to "season" the bore... which, by the way, is not a one-time thing, but a lifetime process.

I had one misfire (nipple needs replacing) which fired on the second hit with the same cap. Used 3f Old Eynsford with patched round balls lubed with Bore Butter in both pistols. No rust and no fouling that I could detect.

Again, it works. No real need to try to find something else... though I may order some Bumblin' Bear Grease next time I place an order for something at October Country.

Back in the day with petroleum-based lubes, I had all the fouling I could stand and at the range, I could only fire a couple or maybe three shots before I had to either get the cleaning products out or go home for the day. Since I started using Bore Butter and other animal greases, that scenario has not recurred. You wanna use petroleum products? Go for it! You wanna push them on others? Well, you make your recommendations, you quote your "experts", and you use your right to free speech to the best of your ability. That said, I hold another opinion that is also held by others, and I've been shooting for longer than some of you have been alive.

Daniel Boone used bear grease and coon grease and whatever other animal fats he could find. Pretty sure that at least some of his guns are still around and still work more than a century after his death. Most likely he tried different greases over the course of his life, but I doubt that petroleum products ever came onto his radar.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what "experts" say. Experts can be wrong. Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark. Try different methodologies. Use what works and discard what doesn't. When the experts say you should be using the latest and greatest products synthesized from some rock found only in Baltisk crater on Mars, nod your head politely, maybe try the new stuff to evaluate it for your own purposes, and then go on using what works.

In general, though some of us really ARE idiots, (case in point, our Pres.... sorry... can't inject politics here ;)) listen to the grey-beards. We've seen and done more than you have and some of us know what we are talking about.

'nuff said... or maybe too much. Some of us get ornery in our old age.
Like you I use Bore Butter to season and preserve the barrels in my 6 muzzleloaders and 4 Shiloh and C. Sharps rifles. When I don't shoot for a long time, I check the barrels for corrosion. Works well for me. I used to use it on my round ball patches but started using TOW mink oil the last year to see if it is better or equal to Bore Butter. Still experimenting. I like Bore Butter and will always have some in my gun cabinet and range box.

From a chemistry standpoint, the lack of “solubility” between petroleum(organic) based products, and the (inorganic) salts produced by ignited black powder is the issue, leaving undissolved salts which will eventually corrode the steel. Once salts have been removed, petroleum based products are OK for preserving steel, but should be removed from the barrel prior to shooting,

Various types of rendered animal fats have worked well for hundreds of years. Not saying that the new things don't work, but the old saying applies here: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Fired a few shots with T/C Patriots today that I hadn't touched in six months. Last time I cleaned 'em I used Bore Butter to lube the bore as a rust preventative and to "season" the bore... which, by the way, is not a one-time thing, but a lifetime process.

I had one misfire (nipple needs replacing) which fired on the second hit with the same cap. Used 3f Old Eynsford with patched round balls lubed with Bore Butter in both pistols. No rust and no fouling that I could detect.

Again, it works. No real need to try to find something else... though I may order some Bumblin' Bear Grease next time I place an order for something at October Country.

Back in the day with petroleum-based lubes, I had all the fouling I could stand and at the range, I could only fire a couple or maybe three shots before I had to either get the cleaning products out or go home for the day. Since I started using Bore Butter and other animal greases, that scenario has not recurred. You wanna use petroleum products? Go for it! You wanna push them on others? Well, you make your recommendations, you quote your "experts", and you use your right to free speech to the best of your ability. That said, I hold another opinion that is also held by others, and I've been shooting for longer than some of you have been alive.

Daniel Boone used bear grease and coon grease and whatever other animal fats he could find. Pretty sure that at least some of his guns are still around and still work more than a century after his death. Most likely he tried different greases over the course of his life, but I doubt that petroleum products ever came onto his radar.

In the end, it doesn't really matter what "experts" say. Experts can be wrong. Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark. Try different methodologies. Use what works and discard what doesn't. When the experts say you should be using the latest and greatest products synthesized from some rock found only in Baltisk crater on Mars, nod your head politely, maybe try the new stuff to evaluate it for your own purposes, and then go on using what works.

In general, though some of us really ARE idiots, (case in point, our Pres.... sorry... can't inject politics here ;)) listen to the grey-beards. We've seen and done more than you have and some of us know what we are talking about.

'nuff said... or maybe too much. Some of us get ornery in our old Me, I have for the last 40years have used some kind of lard. And for the last 8 or so that has been bear grease. The stuff seams to last forever, only one of three can had any oil separation and not to much. Even use the stuff I make up for the unspoken types lube in my sizing press's.

Using Bore Butter will not season a barrel. M/L barrels are not cast iron. T/C marketing ploy.

Been discussed here for years.

Funny, Napa here does not carry water soluble cutting oil. For what ever it may be worth I have not found any petroleum oil to be clearly superior over any other. There are exceptions, ~1960 3:1 oil had an ingredient to break up rust. I watched my grandfather ruin a mint 1894 rifle with it as a kid. It caused cancerous rust. Thankfully the modern 3:1 is not like that. For day to day I use ATF with a dollop of lanolin melted in. Gun oils have nifty and reusable containers though. My WD40 substitute is ATF, lanolin and charcoal lighter.

Sorry I noticed this so late. I've read in the 1830s, many used turpentine to clean their rifles and muskets.

I cleaned a .54 with Eezox weekend before last. Took it out and shot a couple dozen through it today and it was spotless and flawless in operation.

Latest posts

Back