• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pet peeve anyone else have this one

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hobbittcop

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Watching a good movie and then all of a sudden a gun comes into the scene and it is totally wrong for the era. That really ticks me off especially when it is a good movie (it really kills the mood) or they are using the right guns but there is no big puff of Black powder smoke. I have a hard time getting into it after that. :imo: :m2c:

Pennsylvania Newt :peace: (formerly hobbittcop)

Yep.....lousy technical editing gets to me too! Film makers will spend big $$$$ to make a movie and then they get cheap when it comes to period correctness. But most of the viewing public dosen't have a clue and probably really don't care...

Yes, but then I get all twisted when they foul up militay uniforms as well. Not that I am an expert, but when I see collar devises backwards or ribbons in the wrong order I have a tendency to dwell n these things and lose track of the movie itself. Lately -- over the last 10 years or so - I just try not to pay attention to these details. Also -- I don't go to movies that much anymore. Not because of the detail issue, I just think that most movies are trash. However -- I did watch Lord Of The Rings a few times -- no complaints, everything was historically correct correct for the time :imo:

You're right about that. Yea, all the money they spend and then pay no attention to details. I just watched "the mountain men" (Charlton Heston, Brian Kieth) again, and they did a great job on the details. IMHO
I dont know about you guys, but every time I see the scene when they are riding down to join the rondy, I WANNA GO TOO!!!!

Flint50

However -- I did watch Lord Of The Rings a few times -- no complaints, everything was historically correct correct for the time :imo:

Chet,
you are easily entertained :imo:
snake-eyes :hmm: :peace: :) :thumbsup: :hmm:

i like to count the shots befour thay reload amazing how maney shots a 6 gun will hold

i like to count the shots befour thay reload amazing how maney shots a 6 gun will hold

:crackup: :crackup: :crackup:
I am SOOOOO glad I'm not the only one doing that. Was watching some trash insomniac movie about Custer the other night. Counted one soldier making about 10 or 12 shots from the same gun, and then watching "Custer" shoot a pistol by pushing it forward. What the heck is THAT????? Pushing the gun don't make the bullets come out any faster. And where was the spare ammo? Not a single bag, pouch, or cartridge belt to be seen.

vic

I wish I could remember the movie title...old black and white...the guy was shooting a trap door 45-70 but carried a bag and horn! or flintlocks firing without smoke coming from the pan. my wife hates to watch movies with me.She says I ruin movies..I spot the camera in reflections in the water,glass, hubcaps,etc. ...jet vapor trails in the sky of westerns is another overlooked thing by producers.

I'm sure that anyone who has a keen interest or knowledge on any subject can find fault in the accuracy of movie "magic". Maybe that's how they shoot 4 dozen times without reloading that six-shooter--- It's magic!

Longknife-TMA vice president

long knife my uncle owns a dairy farm in P.A. walking through the field i steped into some movie magic

I will give a little credit to Hollywood about todays movie making, they seem to be doing a little better with movies such as, Last of the Mohicans, The Patriot, The Alamo, Gods & Generals,,, but there is still room for much improvement!

Here,s mine They walk all though the woods then right before they shoot they load one in the chamber, cccliicck and the other guy hears it and shoots them first what's up with that they can't load one in at home. maybe it's just a safety factor, even if your a manical killer don't walk with a loaded weapon, [they teach this at bad guy school]

Another example of this, sadly, is "Red Badge of Courage," the B&W Audie Murphy epic. It's a great story, but the smoke that fogs the battlefield is pouring out of trap-door Springfields :curse:

Recent CW movies -- "Gettysburg," "Glory" and "Gods and Generals" -- seemed to do much better, but that's largely because the re-enacting / skirmishing community had so many hands in the cartridge boxes :)

Seems that as I sit and think about it, only Clint Eastwood movies come close to "cowboy era" gun detail accuracy, with the percussion revolvers and, bless 'em, a Spencer carbine. :hmm:

The one part in Jeremiah Johnson...he slips up on the crazy womans cabin and surprises the "sutler". The guys rifle goes off like a .22 and not a trace of smoke. I try to overlook that part.

I think that as ones level of knowledge of history grows more, more "mistakes" become evident, it gets to the point of ignoring it and enjoying the flick for what it is.....entertainment

Yeh. Wild West Tech makes at least one important goof every week. Last week they had W B Masterson filing away on his hammer spur to lighten the trigger.

Young Riders did a good job of carrying on the tradition of anachronist guns. T Spoon had a Remington New Model Army inlaid with a Ranger Badge. He supposedly had carried it at the Alamo. Good enough trick having one in 1859 since remington didn't actually make them until 60. Also, YR had one of the boys performing "Aura Lee" two years before it was published.

Something goofy I see a lot on Bonanza is 1866 Winchester rifles that they took the forearm off of to make them look more like 1860 Henrys. Anybody who knows enough about Winchester rifles to be able to tell a Henry from a '66 Winchester is gonna notice the fancy new loading gate on Little Joe's 1860 "Henry". :shake:

Something the History Channel has all wrong is the concept of recoil. One guy will shoot a Colt Peacemaker and it won't recoil at all, then his buddy will shoot one and it nearly smacks him upside the head.

I can understand the frustration some people have when they catch things in movies that could not be happening, but remember.... a very large percentage of people that watch these movies have no idea of the history of the times depected. If the gun does not smoke.. thats fine with them.

I notice the different things that are wrong and laugh inside but no longer comment on it because others find that most anoying. I just watch and note to myself. It keeps everyone happy that way.

They do the same thing with Henrys. Like that pipsqueak cartridge would cause any noticeable recoil. They usually have the Henry making a 300 yard kill on a running buffalo and recoiling like a .45-110 Sharps. Or in Dances with Wolves, where they go through the whole film with the follower down against the receiver, yet the rifle still goes bang every time. Still, it's probably not as bad as those 50 shot Single Action Armies John Wayne and Randy Scott had.

I used to be that way with war and action movies, too. Here's how a six shooter could fire 15 shots without being reloaded. There are five shots in the cylinder as the sheriff runs out into the street to shoot it out with the bank robbers. There is a camera in the alley next to the saloon, one in front of the blacksmith's shop, and another on the roof of the hotel. All three cameras are rolling as the sheriff heroically faces the bank robbers and guns them down. Now when the scene is over, they take the film from all of the cameras to the editor, who splices the film together and includes three different views of every shot. That's one explanation any way. There's also the explanation that with loading gates on the Winchesters, rounds can be slipped in easily and unnoticed in the heat of battle since the rifles magazine can be topped off without unloading it. (This explanation is kind of flimsy if the rifle is a Muzzleloader.)

Does anyone remember the German tanks in "The Battle of the Bulge", I think that's the movie were they used M-47s as Panzers anyway.

Latest posts

Back