• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Persimmons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trent/OH

58 Cal.
Reaction score
I only know of two persimmon trees, and they are on opposite sides of the same driveway. I stopped at them yesterday and I have to say that this is the best crop of persimmons I've ever tasted. Every time I walk by the jar today I've had to grab a couple. But most of them had no seeds this year. Go figure. Monday I'll go looking for pawpaws.

Persimmons are good here this year also. We have some on the lower end of our driveway and they are really sweet. The deer and oppossums are hitting them hard at night.

:hmm: They make good beer also . That statement should be followed with a detailed recipe. Thanks in advance. :)

twotoescharlie said:
they make good beer also!!

TTC

Hmmmm, I gotta give that a try! I don't normally like persimmons, but I normally like beer way too much. Maybe the perfect compromise. Got a recipe? :)

Here's one-Persimmon Beer

Remove the seeds from enough ripe persimmons to make a bushel of fruit without the seeds. Line a wooden keg with clean corn shucks. Mash up the persimmons with half a bushel of corn meal and half a bushel of sweet potato peelings. Put in the keg and cover with water. Cover and allow to stand until the taste is right, and then bore a hole in the top of the keg and draw off the beer. If you put a piece of cornbread in a cup and fill up the cup with persimmon beer, you'll have something highly satisfactory. Indulge cautiously until you learn your capacity :winking: !

twotoescharlie said:
Google-persimmon beer-kitchen notes,1915

TTC
THE OLD TIME FARM MAGAZINE
KITCHEN NOTES, 1915 Persimmon Beer. Ingredients: Five pounds of lump sugar, three gallons of water, a quarter of a teacupful of yeast, a slice of toasted bread, two lemons, and eight persimmons. Boil the sugar and the water for an hour. When it is cold, add the persimmons (sliced), the juice and peels of the lemons, and the yeast on the bread.

Let stand for two or three days in a tub covered with a thick cloth. Then strain and bottle it. It will be ready to drink in five days after it is bottled :winking: !

Living in Southeast Pa persimmons seem few n far between. Having just bought 2.43 acres I'd love to maybe grow a few. Anybody ever planted the seeds n had any luck with them sprouting? Or does anyone have an addy where I might aquire a couple saplings I could replant. Any ifo at all would be great. Thanks much YMHS Birdman

Back