• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Period Correct candies

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullmoose

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Since we are into the holidays, can anyone give a good idea on period correct candies. either "store bought style" or homemade style :confused:

My Great Grandfather was a candy maker/cook. We have candy makers in my family all the way back to the revolutionary war. I have his candy hook now that he used to pull taffy on. He made taffy and pressed it into candy moulds that were shaped like deer, elk and antelope. He also made hard candy like cinnamon and such. He started as a candy maker in Tenn. until an unfortunate incident that made him leave in the 1890's. (he killed a man for talking to my Gr. Grandmom) He then set up shop on the pine ridge in South Dakota where he is now buried.

I hope that helps
Regard
Wounded Knee
The saxon barbarian

I'm glad I didn't post a reply before Loyd did! I thought you wrote "candles" :redface: - I can imagine the look on your face when I would have suggested tallow and beeswax! :shocked2: Yum! (Nevermind!) :haha:

Mr. Maestro,
I thought :redface: the same thing. Was wondering why this is in the food section though we all know they (candles) have been used for food in the past. Should remember to remove my glasses when reading.
Thanks Mr. Loyd.
Best Wishes

HEY can the forum manager change my title please to "CANDY" instead of candies :bow:
taffy? hard rock candy? what else is PC?, would be neat to open a candy sutler store.

Russian Bullmoose Man said:
be neat to open a candy sutler store.

There's a fellow that does the local 'vous circuit that has a lot of stick-type candy. this is both hard candy sticks and licorice sticks. I think him and his wife make most of it. BTW, his moniker is nobudy, and his shop...nobudy's bizness :haha:

I believe that "Altoids" those curiously strong peppermint candies that are on the candy racks at most big store checkouts, date from the 1830s.

Hey RBM,
Check out Necco's. They are a hard chip about the size of a quarter and wafer thin. They date back to the 1700's.

Charcloth

charcloth said:
Hey RBM,
Check out Necco's. They are a hard chip about the size of a quarter and wafer thin. They date back to the 1700's.

Charcloth

Perhaps 1847?
[url] http://www.necco.com/AboutUs/History.asp[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry Claude,

I guess I pulled a newbie faux pas. I had been told in the past that they pre dated the revolution. I guess I should have looked it up...
Charcloth

I believe that pralines (prah leens -- never pray leens!) were invented in the court of Louis XIII and would therefore be correct for much of the ML era. Sadly, they were originally made with almonds rahter than pecans -- what were they thinking?

CS

Speaking of Altoids -- does anyone know where to get these in the old round cans? Those were great containers -- almost worth eating some of those overly powerful mints. On the other hand, the cinnamon were good.

CS

CrackStock said:
Speaking of Altoids

A friend brought up a curous fact. Altoids are made in Great Britain. Most mad cow disease is from the UK. Altoids are made from cow parts, much like hide glue is made.

Regards

I found this website:
[url] http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodcandy.html#earlyamericancandy[/url]

It's a good start. :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Back