Percussion caps and mercury poisoning?

Discussion in 'Percussion Rifles' started by hyuzu, Sep 3, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Sep 11, 2019 #21

Dphar1950

Dphar1950

Dphar1950

32 Cal

I am note sure many caps used mercury. Most were Potassium Chlorate. THIS is what rusted the heck out of barrel. Murcury primers were REALLY destructive the cartridge cases in the early smokeless era. BTW shooting Pyrodex produces CYANIDE gas.... Nobody has died of that either.

2. Sep 11, 2019 #22

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

45 Cal.

Dphar,

The opening post was about historical (possible )mercury poisoning, not anyone worrying about it now.

Re the OP question;
    I think there were easier ways to get a good dose of Mercury in the 19th century, than from percussion caps.
    Colonel Peter Hawker swore by mercury ointment for corns on his feet. I believe he said it cured them very quickly.

Even when I was a kid, we played with mercury and no-one thought anything of it. They would bring it around the class, and we all got a go with it! Same with asbestos as someone mentioned up the page. I made all sorts of things from asbestos sheet, like "stone" tomahawk heads.

Best,

R.

hyuzu likes this.
  3. Sep 11, 2019 #23

Stumpkiller

Stumpkiller

Stumpkiller

That Other Moderator Staff Member MLF Supporter

No doubt. And all of us flint shooters will risk a slow death due to silicosis. But at least we keep our sanity.

Or at least what we began with.

Rat likes this.
  4. Sep 11, 2019 #24

Dphar1950

Dphar1950

Dphar1950

32 Cal

It just seemed silly given that they shot outdoors almost exclusively and the amount of mercury is so minute. Then the fact that they used to cast balls from lead mixed with mercury to harden it for use on heavy game in Africa and India. But the "news" keeps everyone frightened of something these days. Remember when the snow was radioactive?

5. Sep 11, 2019 #25

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

45 Cal.

Oh I well understand that the "news" has a scare- us -all- to- death agenda, DPhar!

I was just meaning that no-one was worrying about this now, and the Q was historical, but as you say, not really a possible threat at any time.
    The only shooting -related thing I have heard that Was a problem, even if not recognised at the time, was the "High to debilitating, and even deadly" levels of lead found in the bones of some Native Americans, (Eastern) and the presumption was, they were casting lead in their cooking pots or pans.

hyuzu likes this.
  6. Sep 11, 2019 #26

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

I'd venture to say that if one was not a "hatter" or lived adjacent to one, then the mercury that one might be exposed to from caps was negligible. I'd also venture to say that you today have more to worry about from eating too much tuna and mercury than they did back then.

LD

hyuzu likes this.
  7. Sep 11, 2019 #27

Sun City

Sun City

Sun City

36 Cal.

Beer....will kill ya too......iffen ya drinks enuff of it!!

8. Sep 12, 2019 #28

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

Pukka Bundook

45 Cal.

Drinking milk can also be deadly;
    Hear about the Irishman who died through drinking milk?

Cow fell on him.

9. Sep 12, 2019 #29

hyuzu

hyuzu

hyuzu

40 cal - b

Thanks guys for your replies and views on this.

And yes, just to make it crystal clear, I did not pose this question because I have any worries about percussion caps myself. I was just asking out of historical interest, to see if there were any records of mercury in the caps back then being known or suspected of making guys sick. I wasn't making any assumptions, just trying to ask a question. I didn't mean to come across as a fusspot :p

10. Sep 12, 2019 #30

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

Perish the thought, for NOW if you run into a non-shooter who is freaking out because that person "thinks" there is mercury in caps, you can correct them.

There are also the people who think humans get lead poisoning from animals killed by shot, or if they swallow shot, and those that think the smoke from muzzleloaders is carcinogenic..., (really funny when that person is smoking a cigarette when they bring that one up :D)…, so there's no problem asking.

LD

hyuzu and 45man like this.
  11. Sep 12, 2019 #31

45man

45man

45man

32 Cal. MLF Supporter

Carol is my concern. She says I do nothing in the house but who does all outside plus I built her furniture and half the house. She complains about laundry when all she does is open a door or lid. I need to get her a wringer washer. Or a tub with a wash rack. I bought her a John Deer mower but I still cut the whole yard.
    A woman is more deadly then caps or lead. They will work you to an early death.

SamTex1949 likes this.
  12. Sep 15, 2019 at 6:47 PM #32

Rat

Rat

Rat

50 Cal.

If women will kill ya, then I don't mind dying. :)

13. Sep 18, 2019 at 9:20 PM #33

N.Y. Yankee

N.Y. Yankee

N.Y. Yankee

32 Cal.

Like lead, are we shooting it, or chewing on it?