• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Penetration Test - .62cal Turkey Load

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Now if I can just get a Tom to break 40yds...
04/06/07 - Penetration Test - .62cal Turkey Load
16 #6’s through a strong 4” diameter “Tuna Can” at 40 yards
GM 1” x 33” .62cal Flint smoothbore drop-in barrel & TC Hawken stock
80grns Goex 3F
Two Oxyoke wonderwads
1+5/8oz #6’s
Circle Fly OS card
040607-16No.jpg

Rebel said:
Looks like you are all set as far as a load goes. Now if the Turks will cooperate. Good luck. :thumbsup:
You too
PS: and remember, this year, no fair you pulling into a parking lot and shooting them digging through the trash cans
:rotf:
You must maintain a certain decorum to match your period style of clothes (they didn't have trash cans back then)
:grin:

Hey now, it weren't the trash can, it were the bird feeders. :rotf: Nope, this year i am hunting public land turkeys. No trash cans or bird feeders. :grin:

Yes...thought about adding that point but by the time I got back to my original post the 'edit timer' had expired.

Those 4" cans are not very big targets at forty yards...but I wanted to use them as they were the closest practical sized target to a turkey head I could find, that would also tell me something about penetration...I drove a 1"x2" flat stake in the ground about a foot tall, hung the can from the top of the stake so the flat bottom faced me.

It's one thing to look at the results of 35-40 paper targets, but when I got things dialed in as tight as I could, it was really satisfying to start popping those cans one after the other...then I knew I had it right, and the penetration was there too.

Now I just gotta get a turkey to cooperate...
:grin:

I think you are due for a Turkey, Roundball. I wish you success. :v
Idaho PRB

Back