• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

canepole

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a Thompson Center peep sight than I can shoot very well with.It is used on a hawken model.The question is,are bp shooters prejudiced against such a sight?In my circles I've only heard that iron sights are permitted.Are there organizations known to the forum that prohibit such sights?Do shore nuff "he coons"of the sport consider them too new, or not period,since a TC Hawken is not a close copy of anything out of the Hawken/Hawkens Bros. shop?
Is the rifle acceptable?I wouldn't use the rifle as part of a persona,is it generally accepted in shoots that you know of?Where does the TC Hawken fit into the overall sport?

A peep is also an "iron sight" but all Rendezvous I have attended allow "open sights" only, no peeps. This is not because they are too new, peeps were used on crossbows before firearms were developed, but to keep a level playing field. In NMLRA matches, some allow peeps while others don't.
As to the T/C rifles, while not exactly period correct I've never attended a rendezvous where they were not accepted. For many years the T/C Hawken was the most common rifle seen at rendezvous, though in recent years we are seeing mostly custom rifles and fowlers. Some do specify "fixed, non-adjustable sights", which is why T/C offers one to replace the adjustable rear and Lymans come with two rear sights, one adjustable and one fixed.

Like Coyote joe said, it's not because of being new, it's because they are an advantage to the feller that's using them. Everyone see's and shoot's better through "peep's".
But the typical Rendezvous is about shooting for fun with the skills you have against another with their skills, thus the "open iron sights".
There are several matches by the NMLRA that allow peeps, Bench Gun just off the top of my head, but in that compition the guns are heavy custom guns with peeps alone that cost as much as a T/C Hawkin.

It all depends on your club, all of the clubs I shoot at allow peep sights and one allows any sight including scope but I have never seen anyone with one. These are all line/bullseye matches, if they hold a woods walk or a primitive type shoot it's only opens. I think a lot of it depends on what part of the country you live in!
Regards, Steve Chapman

our club has 50 yd offhand matches. we allow any bp rifle, evil unmentionable, scoped, flinters, whatever. i love spanking the scopes with iron sights! :grin:

Back in my rendezvous days, I remember there was a rule that a shooter couldn't compete if the "horns" on his buckhorn sights were touching, as it was considered a "closed" sight. I think I only saw this issue come up once, and the guy in question was fine with the decision. I guess you have to draw the line somewhere. Bill

For several years I shot a buckhorn that the horns were within 1/8 inch of touching. Then at one shoot they would not except any that were closer than 1/4. So I took a 1/4 inch end mill and opened my sight. No problems since.I think the open sights only is a personal picky rule, but it is clearly stated si if I want to play the game I go by it. For personal use and hunting I have a fold down peep that works as a merit disc third focusing sight. :hmm:

Gosh Darnit!!!!! I just today put a Lyman peep on my GPR!!!! I am missing about half of my left eye (I'm left handed and have been shooting that way for over 60years)and can't see the sights very well with "iron sights".Put the peep on to see if I could improve my sighting and it did. Could I go to shoots and not compete but just shoot or am I stuck not going to shoots at all? Frank

At our club matches you could shoot all you want with the peep sight, I also have two peep sight hunting rifles a 50cal and a 40cal. But, you just cant enter the matchs for a prize, the prizes are for open sights

FRJ said:
Gosh Darnit!!!!! I just today put a Lyman peep on my GPR!!!! I am missing about half of my left eye (I'm left handed and have been shooting that way for over 60years)and can't see the sights very well with "iron sights".Put the peep on to see if I could improve my sighting and it did. Could I go to shoots and not compete but just shoot or am I stuck not going to shoots at all? Frank

I have the same problem. Half of my right eye is gone and I had to learn to shoot left handed with my left eye that's not very good either. Sights are blurry. Targets blurry. The world is blurry.

At one point I was thinking of going to shoots. I asked them what and how they shot. Right up front they told me I had to use primitive sights, guns before 1840 (copies ok), offhand shooting to 125 yds.

I'll just stick to hunting.

Frank & Capper,
At our club you would be able to shoot your peep sighted rifle but not in competition. I also have lost the use of my right eye and am right handed. I have, after a long period, learned to shoot left handed but developed a system to shoot right handed with my left eye before I went to left hand rifles. Can't post pictures but can send you some if you are interested.
Mark

walruskid1 said:
our club has 50 yd offhand matches. we allow any bp rifle, evil unmentionable, scoped, flinters, whatever. i love spanking the scopes with iron sights! :grin:

I'm not shooting in clubs or matches, and most certainly not trying to tell anyone how they should do it.

But in our informal shooting, I encourage guys to come with their modern guns, scopes and all. Take away the benchrest, and it's a foregone conclusion that they get outshot. And badly.

While you're at it, shoot a looooong time and go through lots of shots. If they're not frustrated by the offhand shooting, they'll be broke from feeding expensive components. After about 10 shots, they'll also be experimenting with lighter charges, too!

Good fun, and a great way to "sell" traditional guns. In fact they sell themselves, and before long the modern shooters are all waiting in line to shoot your traditional gun.

That's my favorite definition of "in line muzzleloaders." It's all the modern shooters waiting in line to shoot your traditional! :rotf:

I don't know if anyone here realizes it, but peep sights were in use in the colonial days. I have a book that shows them on early rifles. (flip-up)
So I think all this PC and HC is a bunch of junk to control what you do, and make you do it their way.

Thanks for the offer, but shooting left handed is becoming pretty natural to me now. :thumbsup:

Just for the case of authenticity. Here is a Peep on an original late period Hawkens rifle. You can see it has a special tang just for this purpose.

Hawken%20Peep%20and%20Lock.jpg

In response to Papa

Thanks for the offer but it won't be necessary. I'll just not shoot at clubs. Absolutely will not allow anyone to tell me what to do. I would be happy to just shoot and not compete. I've won way too many IHMSA shoots and archery shoots and bullseye pistol shoots to even care about competing again.I would just like to shoot for fun but its quite aparent that some of these shoots are so biased that it would just end in grief. Thanks for the info everyone. Frank

Ha!

You'd fit right into our neighborhood. Our muzzleloading club has no bylaws, no meetings, and no dues. Just a handful of guys that care a lot about safety and shooting, and meanwhile enjoy each others company on the range and in the field. Best club I've ever been in! :thumbsup:

FWIW - Using the Buckhorn rear sight as a peep sight

Using_the_Peephorn.jpg

My "View To A Kill" (sic):

DSCN0224.JPG

Back