• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

peep sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only "PROBLEM" with any buckhorn sight, IMHO, is that the sight "notch" at the bottom of the horns is TOO DARN small for easy acquisition of the front sight. It only takes a few minutes using a fine jeweler's file to open up that notch to let "daylight" show around both sides of the front sight.

I have tried using the BUCKHORN sight on my rifle as a " peep" sight. It didn't work out well, particularly when I tried to use it as described in your pictures for longer shots.

Maybe some Guns, in some Calibers, With some Loads, and with a certain Sight Radius, may work well for long shots using the buckhorn sight as shown in the diagram, but not on mine.

Oh, I also have some cartridge rifles with Buckhorn sights on them, and have tested them with this method, and found it wanting.

Its an interesting IDEA, but don't be surprised if you can't make it work with you gun and load. :nono: :idunno: :surrender: :hmm: :hatsoff:

I have got to say this because I have issues with SASS on what was authentic and what wasn't in it's day.

Question: Did they use them in the old days or not? That is the question and not whether it gives anyone a undue advantage.

Now I have seen photos of caplocks with peeps on them, but can't say as to flintlocks though.

Now if you want to come up with an unusual requirement just to have one, then you are only fooling yourself I suppose. Let us shoot what ws around during the times.

I don't get it?!?!?!?!?!

No one can seriously doubt that peep sights have been around longer than firearms. The Swiss produced some finely adjustable diopter sights for target shooting crossbows.
The issue is not and never has been authenticity. At the rendezvous I attend about anything vaguely resembling pre-1840 clothing, camp ware and such is OK, as are T/C rifles. But the match rules are open sights only to keep a "level playing field". Also all shooting is offhand and we know that is not authentic, old timers just like modern day hunters would kneel or take advantage of any available rest when ever possible. I have peeps on my hunting rifles and much prefer them but the rules of the shoot are the rules, either play by the rules or don't play.
:idunno:

I checked yesterday with the one charge of our club shoots. He said all sights are ok. No glass. All offhand.
OB

I only belonged to one "club". We were a group that shot traditional MLs, open iron sights. We shot from the pouch/bag. We didn't allow "tackle box shooters" or guys who were trying to stretch things and "get an advantage". Most of us wore period dress and a couple didn't. One older guy used a "sight disc" on his glasses because he couldn't see well any more.
That was what we wanted to do and if you wanted to shoot with us you played by our rules.

I use a small round piece of black electrical tape I cut by pulling the eraser out of a pencil and using the pencil as a punch. Burn a pinhole and place it in the upper inner corner of my lens and don't pay attention to it until I shoot. Brings everything from the rear sight to infinity into focus. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back