• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep sight.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevePD

32 Cal
Reaction score
Where or what is a good hunting peep sight for a. T/C White MT. carbine? I would like to get one without drilling any holes ion the tang.Thanks

A strap sight is the only one I can think of. Use the dovetail in your barrel to mount it. Not something you can buy off a shelf.

Attachments

• strap sight 2.jpg
    strap sight 2.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 236
  • strap sight.jpg
    strap sight.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 225
look up a Marble Bullseye rear sight. Brownell's has them. It is a peep sight mounted in the barrel dove tail.
Very handy and not in the way. Not "period correct" but a very accurate sight picture with an ivory bead front sight.
Hold Center
Bunk

Rear Appature on my Squirrel rifle. At 13lb it's a bit heavy to carry round the woods but great from a bench by the feeding stations out to 30yds. .385" with .375 ball & .010" Cotton patch. 30 grains No.2 Canister. With 40 grains it's magic at driving tacks thru' paper..

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 135
There are/were a couple made for TC that don't require any drilling, if you have a 3 screw tang. Look on Flea Bay, there are usually some there. Not cheap.

Rear appature sight on my Squirrel rifle which is a bit heavy at 12lb to carry around the woods. Great from a bench about 25yds from a feeder. .375 ball from .385 bore with .010 cotton patch
over 30grns No.2 powder. With 40grns it's great for tack driving thru' paper off hand. The sight
is in a fixed Tang mount, fore sight is posy and bead in a tunnel. OLD DOG.

Attachments

• 012.JPG
    012.JPG
    145.3 KB · Views: 92
You could just make one if you are crafty.

My 73 year old eyes blur out the rear sight on everything I own, I have started making peeps for my guns.

Here is my first attempt, it works really well.

The fitting to the tang and bending the bow to have the aperture at exactly the right place was hit or miss but I got it perfect after a couple hours of trial and error.

peep done mounted.JPG

I would be using it for hunting. getting older and eyes pick up peep better. Its all I sue on my
30-30's. Use the ghost ring method and its deadly in the weep woods deer.

Any form of hole/peep/ghost ring mounted on your glasses or tang will also sharpen regular open rear sights. The barrel mounted notch rear sight on my break barrel air rifle is more accurate than a scope or tang peep sight. I use a peep sight to sharpen the view of the notch rear barrel mounted sight. The peep is only used as a optical aid, the sight picture and POI adjustments are all in the open sights.

The peep needs to be near your eye to provide any advantage. That mean on the tang. If you can not drill and tap the holes any competent gunsmith or machinist can. Do use the modern gun standard 6-48 screws.

The peep needs to be near your eye to provide any advantage. That mean on the tang. If you can not drill and tap the holes any competent gunsmith or machinist can. Do use the modern gun standard 6-48 screws.

This is the route I'd go. A gunsmith won't charge a whole lot to do this and would probably have it done in 10 minutes while you waited.

Thanks folks and excuse the typing errors on my last post, sheesh need to use spell checker or whatever
its called.
I appreciate all the advice.

Latest posts

Back