• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Remington Pattern Target

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rfp10000

40 Cal
Reaction score
I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with the Pedersoli Remington Pattern Target .
Capandball has a favorable video and written review. It apparently has performed well in match competition. Other than cosmetics like a flat black matte finish it looks pretty darn close to the Uberti NMA. At 1/2 cock the cylinder spins more freely on the Pedersoli but the cocking and trigger in a brand new one does not feel as “sure” as the used Uberti. I’m sure the Pedersoli will improve with a complete cleaning after firing as the Uberti has.

Ron

One thing is regarding the stock nipples. The hole in the nipple at the chamber end is incredibly small. My nipple pick won’t fit through it. Also I tried various caps from Remington 10s , RWS plus, CCI magnums because those are what I have most of and they all seemed loose . I was just checking before I took it to the range but they did not seem to fit like Remington 10s fit stock Uberti nipples which seem right sized.
I have not taken it apart yet and cleaned it but the action when cocking it seemed not quite right. I’m assuming when I shoot it , take it apart and clean it, it will smooth out like my other new revolvers have but I was a little surprised given the price. These are just first impressions of someone with somewhat limited experience. I should get to actually use it in a couple days . I’m used to using paper cartridges or loose powder with a lubed wool wad and round ball both with 27-30 gr of black. I’m seeing 18 gr as recommended with a COW filler and covering of lube so I’ll try something on that order after my paper cartridges.

I guess I’m just fishing for any info on the gun. There really only seems to be the cap and ball video and written review from what I see .
Ron

Sadly I am not. I am no where good enough or experienced enough. My exact motivations for getting it are a little fuzzy when I think about it.I do want to experience what is considered “match grade” & see what I can learn about it all. I’ll take it to the range and try it at 10 & 50 yards. I like the Uberti Remington , for the most part, & I have a couple of other Pedersoli guns. Like I said, I was just fishing here to see what I might be able to learn about it.

I would like to hear from anyone who has experience with the Pedersoli Remington Pattern Target .
Capandball has a favorable video and written review. It apparently has performed well in match competition. Other than cosmetics like a flat black matte finish it looks pretty darn close to the Uberti NMA. At 1/2 cock the cylinder spins more freely on the Pedersoli but the cocking and trigger in a brand new one does not feel as “sure” as the used Uberti. I’m sure the Pedersoli will improve with a complete cleaning after firing as the Uberti has.

Ron
See my post in this thread. I would replace the nipples with better quality ones. I refurbished one and it's probably the most accurate BP pistol I've ever used.

See my post in this thread. I would replace the nipples with better quality ones. I refurbished one and it's probably the most accurate BP pistol I've ever used.
Ok … I do have some Slixshot & Treso with a similar cone length & thread I can try out .

My 2 cents of advice would be start out with round balls and felt wads. It is easier to load and a whole lot cleaner than having vaporized bullet lube all over you. Start with 20 grains of 3f or Pyrodex P. #10 caps work best on mine. You will max out at 35 grains which is the load I keep in it when I carry it in the bush. I don't know how to cram 40 grains into the chamber and I wouldn't recommend doing so. Always make sure the ball is fully seated on the powder charge, you don't want air gaps. You may already know everything I just stated so don't think I regard you as some greenhorn. I hope you are as pleased with it as I am with mine.

I definitely appreciate your thoughts . I’ll try the 20 gr with the wool wad & round ball. I have spouts from 15 gn up to 40 gn . I think I’ll premeasure at home & put the powder in some small plastic vials . With a Uberti Remington 30 gn is my usual max & ive been using 27 lately. I tried 20 gn last time in a colt . So I’ll make up some vials with different charges . I cleaned it all up but just haven’t taken it all apart yet to clean the internals . Like I said , I have some other nipples to so I’ll play with it a bit and gather some experience . I’m very happy to hear how much you like yours.
Ron

One thing is regarding the stock nipples. The hole in the nipple at the chamber end is incredibly small. My nipple pick won’t fit through it. Also I tried various caps from Remington 10s , RWS plus, CCI magnums because those are what I have most of and they all seemed loose . I was just checking before I took it to the range but they did not seem to fit like Remington 10s fit stock Uberti nipples which seem right sized.
I have not taken it apart yet and cleaned it but the action when cocking it seemed not quite right. I’m assuming when I shoot it , take it apart and clean it, it will smooth out like my other new revolvers have but I was a little surprised given the price. These are just first impressions of someone with somewhat limited experience. I should get to actually use it in a couple days . I’m used to using paper cartridges or loose powder with a lubed wool wad and round ball both with 27-30 gr of black. I’m seeing 18 gr as recommended with a COW filler and covering of lube so I’ll try something on that order after my paper cartridges.

I guess I’m just fishing for any info on the gun. There really only seems to be the cap and ball video and written review from what I see .
Ron
I know there is many opinions on cleaning cap and ball revolvers. I've had at least a dozen of them over the years. So I'm not saying my way is the only way, but after shooting any BP revolver (or any BP gun for that matter) I always tear it down completely and clean it. BP residue gets into the workings of the weapon, attracts moisture and has an acidic component to it that will cause problems and leave you frustrated. If it cannot be cleaned right away, hose it down with wd40, especially the internals. For a really quick cleaning, hosing it down with BP solvent or wd40 and then blowing it out with compressed air. For what it's worth.....

I’m of the same opinion at least with the revolvers. I have a double barrel 12 ga Coach gun that I take the barrel off and clean and I did take off the lock and trigger for a trigger problem but I haven’t done the complete disassembly cleaning I do with the revolvers. I use compressed air and/or a hair dryer to speed up the drying of the soap / water or Ballistol / water phase.

I also have a Sharps Carbine that I clean the block assembly completely , put the muzzle in a bucket of soapy water like I do with the nipple end of the 12 ga barrel and pump a mop up and down but I’ve yet to completely disassemble it for cleaning. Someone here showed me how & ive seen Company D videos on it but I’ve yet remove stock , lock & trigger from the Sharps. I do cork the muzzle and pour hot soapy water from the breech and pump it with the mop to better clean the chamber sleeve. I clean around the hammers and all the external areas as best I can on both the shotgun & the Sharps but I do like to get to everything on the revolvers . The revolvers tend to get fired a lot more for one things.

Sadly I am not. I am no where good enough or experienced enough. My exact motivations for getting it are a little fuzzy when I think about it.I do want to experience what is considered “match grade” & see what I can learn about it all. I’ll take it to the range and try it at 10 & 50 yards. I like the Uberti Remington , for the most part, & I have a couple of other Pedersoli guns. Like I said, I was just fishing here to see what I might be able to learn about it.

No doubt match grade results are possible with the Pedersoli match grade type Rem. Army with some tuning. Just for reference, match grade results can also be had from recent made Pietta & Uberti Rem. Army & Navy with proper tuning. this is based on my results and another National champion`s standard issue repro gun. Your results may vary. By my observation a non-match shooter will gain little if any better results with a match grade gun. Many have asked me why their results are not much better with their new match grade pistol. It should shoot better for that kind of $$$ . Sometimes they might ask a National Champion level shooter to shoot their new gun. At this point the mystery is most likely solved...c

No doubt match grade results are possible with the Pedersoli match grade type Rem. Army with some tuning. Just for reference, match grade results can also be had from recent made Pietta & Uberti Rem. Army & Navy with proper tuning. this is based on my results and another National champion`s standard issue repro gun. Your results may vary. By my observation a non-match shooter will gain little if any better results with a match grade gun. Many have asked me why their results are not much better with their new match grade pistol. It should shoot better for that kind of $$$ . Sometimes they might ask a National Champion level shooter to shoot their new gun. At this point the mystery is most likely solved...c
I’m completely comfortable with all you say here & more or less expect(ed) it. Nevertheless I’ll enjoy taking it out to shoot and trying different loads and taking it apart and cleaning it. I have an old Porsche that I’m happy with driving on the road while friends take theirs to the track. I scuba dive on shallow reefs while my friends do decompression wreck dives. I guess I’m happy dabbling in these fun pastimes .

What exactly do you mean by “some tuning”? Just curious .

What exactly do you mean by “some tuning”? Just curious .

Depends on what the gun needs. Very long list of possible issues Even if it`s a perfect handmade, tuned by a master craftsman, better than I`ve ever seen jewel it still will need my trigger job for my prefered pull for match use. Will also have to fit my nipples to my prefered caps. Replace or shave/ tune springs. If you are not getting into serious match shooting there is no point in doing these things...c

What do you think they have done that makes this gun “better” than an off the shelf Uberti?
I assumed while it wouldn’t be $ for $ better just like a Hyundai will get you there same as a Porsche , there are differences people probably overpay for that they think are worth it because it seems like a more enjoyable experience somehow.

What do you think they have done that makes this gun “better” than an off the shelf Uberti?
I assumed while it wouldn’t be $ for $ better just like a Hyundai will get you there same as a Porsche , there are differences people probably overpay for that they think are worth it because it seems like a more enjoyable experience somehow.

Better? Maybe nothing. In 2019 I hand selected a 2019 dated Uberti Rem..36 Navy from Dixie G.W. After some tuning was able to get match grade results. 97+ at 25yds and 85+ at 50yds. after some tuning but did not like the fish tail grip angle due to a wrist mobility issue. So I sold it. Also Bought a Pietta Rem. Army .44 on a whim sight unseen from EMF just to turn around for some $ as it was on sale for $264 total w/ an extra cylinder to my door. After examination found the gun to be possibly match worthy. After some tuning, load work and sighting in I got down to some serious match target practice. My first two 25yds targets were a 98 & 100, both w/ some xXs. My best target was at 50yds with 94 3X that beats my national record by 3 Xes. I was very in the zone that day. No, I won`t be selling this one. It shoots just as well as my Tri-L (Lewis) custom .36 Rem. Navy. Would I expect these results from a $1000 Pedersoli after tuning? I would hope so...c

Thanks … well I’m anxious to try this one as is at this point. I’ll use Swiss 3F, lubed wad & 24 & 27 gn with cast .454 RBs first.
As I said the nipples that came with it seem small for RWS+, CCI MAGNUM 11 , and even a bit with Remington 10 ..I do have some stock Uberti nipples , Slixshot Uberti & Treso with 284 & 300 cone length… so I might switch those …

Back