• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Frontier Rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wpjson

40 Cal.
Reaction score
14bujkp.jpg
[/img] :grin: New to me, Pedersoli Frontier Rifle, 50 cal. Like the one in Dixie's catalog except the rear sight is moved closer to the butt of the rifle. No date code. It reads "BLACK POWDER ONLY" no mention of Pryodex or other fake powder. Anyone have an idea how I can determine the year of manufacture? :confused: Don't really need it, but just curious. Plan on using this for hunting this fall. Have around $300.00 invested, but it is in great condition.

Great price for a great gun, you done good! Wood piles seem to make the best backstops for muzzleloader pictures :grin:

Nice gun.

I wish my firewood pile looked that big in march.

Long nasty winter here in NY. IF it wasn't too cold, it was snowing. Snow was too deep to hunt with my griffon. She was grumpy all winter too.

I try to have enough wood on hand to last several years if something would happen to me and I would no longer be able to get enough myself. Or in the worst case, enough for my wife to have a fire when ever she chooses to stay a night. She does not go out there much. I enjoy splitting wood, so I have accumulated quite a bit. I am thinking of selling this pile and starting a new one. I have a wood burning stove for cooking and a Franklin stove for heat. So the wood is not cut or split uniformily. This at my cabin, I do not live year around out there. Gets snowed in for most of the winter.

I like your fortress of solitude as well as your rifle. You've certainly got your money's worth and even though it says black powder only, Pyrodex, Triple 7 and other substitutes will work for your main charge, usually, but you must use real black powder for your prime. Now, it's best to just use only the real stuff like Goex 3f for both.

Pyrodex, Triple 7 and other substitutes will work for your main charge,

Will work but HIGHLY and STRONGLY recommend you use 10gr primer (down the bore) before the substitute. Say 75 grain charge, use 10 grain fffg followed by 65 gr 777 or pyrodex. Obviously real BP for the flash pan.

W/O the primer you just may go thru a flint or two before she goes bang.

nice looking rifle ... you'd spend the better end of three hundred bucks just to get into a nice barrel these days, so I'd say you have a pretty good bargain ... nice firewood, too (my best wood for small projects, by the way, comes from logs I steal from the wood pile)

make good smoke!

considering that since it is a flintlock..it wouldnt ignite synthetic powder anyhow unless you use a primer charge down the bore. but if your pouring real BP down you may as well make a full charge of it... :youcrazy:

Well.....
I wouldn't say "it wouldn't ignite" but I do agree that synthetic powders work very poorly in a flintlock.

After mistakenly loading one of my flintlocks with Pyrodex it did fire after 3 or 4 successful flashes in the pan.

Because I had forgotten to take real black powder for the main powder charge with me on that day I tried it several more times with about the same results.

That's when I switched over to shooting several caplocks I had with me.

A couple of years ago I happened to be at Dixie Gun Works and picked up a can of Goex ff and one of ffff. I was told fff was for pistols and as I had none, I did not buy any. At that time I had the use of an 1803 Harper's Ferry and I was hopeful that I would soon own it, but that failed. Today I got to begin the learning curve with this rifle. Been a couple of years since I fired a flintlock. I am flinching, but as the rifle and I become better aquainted, that will take care of itself. I have 7 months to prepare for hunting season. It is sweet. I do enjoy it. :thumbsup:

I ahve yet to have synthetic successfully ignit in a flintlock....wait ..it did happen after I poked in a bunch of BP through the liner

Ive been into BP for a bit over 2 years. I still find myself flinchng at times. Best way to overcome it is to shoot shoot and shoot. Before you know it youll be looking for a smoothbore...those are even more fun!

Back