• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pease porrige?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbore442001

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I am planning to do a lesson on the typical diet of the American Revolutionary era soldier. When I visited Fort Niagara this past summer, the fort cook talked about pease porrige. I believe it is a half and half mix of rolled oats and split peas.

If anyone on this board would be able to enlighten me I would be grateful.Thanks.

bigbore,
Mite want to google if you don't get what you are looking for here.
snake-eyes :hmm:

I did a Google search and it seems that the references about oats and peas mixed together could not be found. Basically the pease porrige recipe is a good ole fashioned pea soup recipe. Just a hambone and peas.

It is my understanding that the pease porrage is just a real thick pea soup type dish. If ya had some pork (hambone,smoked hock, fatback etc) it was added for flavor and to use up the poorer cuts of meat.

All I know is that you can eat it hot or cold, and it appears that it will keep at least 3 days in the pot. :grin:

Ridge I agree, Ive heard that the old nursery rhyme really is a description of life in the old days. If ya break the rhyme down it explains just how some foods were eaten by the poorer classes over about a 6 day period. YMHS Birdman

In Middle English, "pease" was treated as a collective noun, similar to "oatmeal" and it is from that we get the singular pea and plural peas.

Cook one pint of green peas in a pint of water, with a sprig of fresh mint and a Tablespoon of butter. Simmer slowly, with the lid on the pan, until pretty soft. Then press through a coarse sieve. Season with a teaspoon of salt and a dash of pepper. Put back into the saucepan and add a cup of whole milk. Mix 2 Tablespoons butter and 3 Tablespoons flour to a smooth paste. Add to the hot liquid and stir until smooth. Cook for about three minutes, stirring all the time. Serve hot.

Claude:

Thanks for that recipe. I will plan to use it with the kids in two weeks while teaching my unit on the American Revolution. It was sort of funny when they drank some plain black tea when I did my lesson on the Boston Tea Party. :haha:

Claude,
Darn that sounds like it would be very
good! I think I will try that here at home. I'm
not a real big fan of peas, but cooked that way
I just mite enjoy them.
snake-eyes :hmm:

Musketdaughter said:
Pease porridge hot,
Pease porridge cold,
Pease porridge in the pot,
Nine days old.
Some like it hot,
Some like it cold,
Some like it in the pot,
Nine days old.
pease.jpg

3 cups Split Peas -- diced
Water
1 Ham Bone or Pork Knuckle
1 Onion -- chopped
1 Turnip -- scraped and diced
1 Potato -- peeled and diced
2 Stalks Celery w/ leaves
-diced
2 Sprigs Summer Savory or
Thyme
2 Sprigs Marjoram
1 tb Sea Kelp, OR Salt -- to taste
Water to cover

Rinse and pick over peas. Cover w/ water and leave to
soak overnight. Next morning, drain, add remaining
ingred., and bring to boil. Cover pot, turn down heat,
and simmer for about 2 hrs. stirring occasionally.
When peas are tender, remove ham bone or knuckle, cut
meat from bone, and return to pot. Take out herb
sprigs. Puree if desired, reheat, and serve in
individual bowls, each topped with a small pat of
butter. Serves 8. Source: Colonial Cookbook, updated
as researched from The Old Farmer's Almanac 1792.

Claude Mathis said:
Musketman said:
3 cups Split Peas -- diced

I'm guessing this should read "dried", not "diced"?

I imagine it would be, but they diced everything way back when, didn't they??? :haha:

OK, so dicing peas would be a little tough, but those were wild texan peas when the recipe was originated, and everything is bigger in texas, big enough to dice... :grin:

OK, it was a typo... :redface:

Claude
my gramma used to make something simalar to that.
I think she called it "mushy peas"
she used marrow peas from a can the mint was already added .
served w mashed potatoes , scotch pies and gravey.
very good after a cold day of cutting wood with my grampa.

Latest posts

Back