• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint50

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Now that we hate inlines (I dont own one)and most here favor rock-locks over percussion rifles(I have a few), we come to whats PC. C'mon guys, you all shoot "custom rifles" . How PC is that? Dont think our forefathers in the intrest of food or protection compared stocks and ventliners.
What I mean to say is before you slam me for shooting percussion, how many ol timers had $1500.00 custom flintlocks?

Many original rifles cost a months wages. There's nothing wrong with percussion rifles, and it would be easy to spend $3000 to $5000 on a good one. It just depends on what time period you like. For instance I'd never build a flintlock half stock Hawken. It just ain't right. All original rifles were "custom rifles."

The oldtimers paid a lot more dearly, in terms of today's dollars, than a measely 1500 dollars! Cash was very scarce in a barter based economy. A guy could easily spend 3-6 month's "wages" or labor to buy just a basic rifle. And that was for a plain one. Brass inlays and carving cost money. A gunsmith was a journeyman craftsman, with the skills of a woodworker, machinest, engraver, and mechanic all rolled into one.

I think that what they charge for a rifle in Colonial Williamsburg today (last I heard about 25,000) is about what they cost in 1780, factoring in inflation....about 6 months worth of wages!

Flint50 said:
how many ol timers had $1500.00 custom flintlocks?
I think its a necessity thing (or was). For example today here in the States most of us need a car. Now some people can buy 4 wheel drive suburbans, and others can buy used VWs.

Back to the guns, I think that they would get what they could afford.

Flint50 said:
Now that we hate inlines (I dont own one)and most here favor rock-locks over percussion rifles(I have a few), we come to whats PC. C'mon guys, you all shoot "custom rifles" . How PC is that? Dont think our forefathers in the intrest of food or protection compared stocks and ventliners.
What I mean to say is before you slam me for shooting percussion, how many ol timers had $1500.00 custom flintlocks?

PC: Period Correct
We all try our best to emulate a period or individual from history (our own or our countries) by our gear , our guns (cap or percussion) etc. The cost in dollars is irrelevent.
PC: politicaly Correct
Is not in the dictionary (at least not the ones we carry).

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Of all the trade idem lists I have seen that was taken to the voo. I have not seen those high priced guns you guys are talking about. Seems I rember the trade guns at $4 to $5 and the mighty Hawkin for about $12. Also I don't think you could call the average gun made in the day a custom. Here is a list from Fort Hall in 1834.
20 plain fusils $4.50
10 twisted fusils $3.75
14 rifles $10.00
2 gallons rum $2.40
1 rifle $13.00
Old Charlie

Heck I don't hate inlines I like all guns :grin: I bought an Omega just before Christmas because it was only $109. Picked up a flinter a couple weeks later.

I have shot 4 rifles since I picked up the Omega and it wasn't one of them it is still NIB.

I have no desire to fork over gobs of money on any rifle. This is a hobby I can afford and enjoy frankly on the cheap and get just as much fun out of it as someone who spends dearly on one rifle.

I have over a dozen m/l and never spent more than $440 on one.

I am as non-PC as they come. I do love the history and all but the only PC thing I own is a 1858 revolver.

The way I hunt rifles though I am bound to find a custom for a couple hundred bucks someday. Used of course but some people have no clue what they are selling.

Just last thursday I saw an A&H Hawken in 98% condition for only $300 almost bit on that. The same shop had a Very good condition Lyman Lefthanded Deerstalker for $200. If that was a flinter I would have bought it.

I guess what I am trying to say is everyone can enjoy this sport you do not need to get a second mortgage to go chuck lead down range.

After trying my hand at rifle building from scratch and putting together components sets (pre-carved stocks and related parts to assemble the firelock) I can say that at 1500.00 the rifle builder is not getting rich. Not by a longshot. If you get the opportunity to compare the wages made by market hunters working in the 1700's and what a gun costs ( a rifle was considerably more than a smoothbore) 1500.00 today is a bargain. Of course folks weren't buying automobiles then which today can run at least 6 months to a years salary. Like the automobile is indispensable to day so was the rifle or smoothbore to families on the frontier. As far as shooting a percussion I don't think anyone here will ridicule you for that. Everyone has their on level of comfort as far as period correctness goes and the time period they are interested in. But no matter how you try to do it you just can't make a percussion halfstock work in the 18th century. But I think this fire's big enough for all of us to set around and enjoy what we enjoy the most.... The smell of blackpowder burning in the morning. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Flint50 said:

LOL. I think every rifle used in the Revolution and F&I War was a custom. :haha: The Industrial Revolution and mass production came much later. The Besses were semi-production line, having standard dies and gauges so there was a chance of some interchangability, but not much.

I've seen it stated that a rifle would be the equivalent of a year's wages, $12 or $13!. That was a three month hunt for a longhunter who received no other pay. The rest of the year he farmed.

Compare it to a handmade violin. You buy what the maker offers. You don't show up and ask for a cheap one.

Hawkens sold for over 40 dollars back in the day. I'd rather have one good muzzleloader than a dozen under $500.00 dollar muzzleloaders. Quality beats quanity anyday.

Till that one rifle breaks. Or you get bored with it.

Swampman, I very much enjoy my rifles and the fact that I have to choose what I want to take to the range. I like going up to camp with more guns than I need just in case one malfunctions.

To each their own though I would get bored owning just a couple rifles.

Just my two cents here at the end. This is one of those threads that could go on and on..no definite answer. There are those that enjoy a rifle made strictly according to the way it was in history. Then there are those that are not that "correct". Know what?...both sides are ok in my book. A person could talk to me all day long...about how something HC transports them back in time. I don't buy it. Why? Unless they are under hypnosis it just is not really there. No one sane that I know of would/could go back in time via a piece of clothing or gear and really feel that they were there. Is there anything wrong with pursuing that goal? Absolutely not. Neither is there anything wrong about those who are not as ardently impassioned about such things. Funny thing..take a down to the wire historically correct muzzleloader and take a T/C or Lyman muzzleloader...and shoot a deer with each. Amazing, isn't it...both deer are dead. Nuff Said.

A dollar bought a weeks groceries for a family of 4 back then, and still did so in 1900. After that, inflation has devalued the dollar so that we can't recognize prices and costs in those terms. Men worked for 10 cents and hour up to WWI. In 1940, when my parents were married, my father was making $28.00 per week, and that was good money.

There is high end, then there is HIGH end. Adjusted for today's prices, I think I saw where a Manton double bore flinter would be well over 200 grand today.

I'm doubting there were very many "custom" rifles around way back.I'm thinking the average Joe had whatever he could scrounge up and kept it a very long time.
As for having just one gun...BORING......Varity is the Spice of life!
M2C

Took a trip to Fort Boonesborough last year with the family. Talked to the gunsmith in his shop while we were there. One rifle at a time, with all parts handmade. That sounds custom to me. Now I personally have a Pedersoli KY but one can always dream. :grin:

Every rifle was a "custom" plain or fancy. It was a one of a kind, made for it's shooter. That's the definition of custom.

Everyone should own one good rifle/smoothbore during their life, even if they have to save 5 years to get it.

Guns are like oats. Good clean oats cost good money. If you're willing to settle for oats that have already been through the horse, they are cheaper.

Swampman said:
Every rifle was a "custom" plain or fancy. It was a one of a kind, made for it's shooter. That's the definition of custom.

Everyone should own one good rifle/smoothbore during their life, even if they have to save 5 years to get it.

Guns are like oats. Good clean oats cost good money. If you're willing to settle for oats that have already been through the horse, they are cheaper.
:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

Well put! but I think you're gonna get a little flak on this one :winking:

Swampman, I'd have to agree, never thought I'd ever get to own a smoothbore,but I saved and sold off stuff till I could get the one I wanted,boy I'll never regret it! RC

Back