• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Traditions Kentucky rifle flintlock ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually think the two piece stocks (same as the old CVA kits) were more for packaging. Less wood to stick out and possibly be broken.
Easy packing yes perhaps so
Also it allows them to use a "better"
Piece of beechwood for the butt end and more of a branch for the fore end,but the nose cap is where your gonna find the rubber and road meet
The nose cap is always a pain anyway but you glue and remove spacer your screws no longer line up
Or you have a big ol ugly gaposis with shiny light to haunt you all you days!👻👻👻👻

Or as they say in WV, Objects in the mirror are behind you. Not really, I love WV. Lots of shoots there. People there know what is important and what ain't.

Stick to wat you know
Trust me, they have to slide also if you glue. You cant soak in a bucket without removeing pins!
How many stocks have you repaired?
Because they dint leesten?🤨👆you see the grey beard and hair! Look up slotted tenions.also look at the size pins they give you with the kit!
Do you think there iz any give there
I throw those "pinz" in the rubbish
Tell me again wat you "think"!
Objects in mirror may be closer than you think your experience may vary 🤪🤺
Uh…. Yeah… I’m not sure what you’re ramblings about… but I still don’t see how the two piece stock has anything to do with humidity or sliding…. Maybe try some decaf next time.

Or as they say in WV, Objects in the mirror are behind you. Not really, I love WV. Lots of shoots there. People there know what is important and what ain't.
Im in east wa . In anundisclosed location😏and there aint doodley
Sep a crazy commie gov. No clubs ronday nuttin( however im kinda noncomplient anyway so) pick on my stitches i might have ta rough you up (.5'6"ms one eye partly parralyzed
Cant spell)105#🤕

Uh…. Yeah… I’m not sure what you’re ramblings about… but I still don’t see how the two piece stock has anything to do with humidity or sliding…. Maybe try some decaf next time.
The two piece stock has little to do with sliding any more than a one piece stock has. The two piece stock is much more a manufacturing cost cutting measure than a benefit to performance.

Now, the horizontal slotting of the tenons is important and a necessary step in the construction of a rifle. Most production rifles will not have the slotted tenons.

The rifle barrel and the wood in the stock have different amounts of expansion and contraction due to the heating of the barrel when the rifle is fired, and changes brought about by air temperature and humidity. The slotting of the tenons has more to do with allowing expansion due to the rifle barrel heating up, and to accommodate expansion of the wood to humidity changes and temperature changes.

I don't think anyone actually believes that cva/traditions opted for a two piece stock for the benefit of the customer. I have one of their rifles and it shoots really good but they used every cheap part possible. It's a $400 gun if put together correctly; much less if not.

Stick to wat you know
Trust me, they have to slide also if you glue. You cant soak in a bucket without removeing pins!
How many stocks have you repaired?
Because they dint leesten?🤨👆you see the grey beard and hair! Look up slotted tenions.also look at the size pins they give you with the kit!
Do you think there iz any give there
I throw those "pinz" in the rubbish
Tell me again wat you "think"!
Objects in mirror may be closer than you think your experience may vary 🤪🤺
'Tis an opinion you have -- As you know, we all have them. I also am pretty sure that the 2 piece stock was for financial reasons -- both in shipping and not needing to procure good pieces of longer wood.

I know plenty of people that have epoxied up the gap. Pins work fine, but I'm rebuilding one now for my brother and might just change them to small, kept, wedges.

The nose cap is always a pain anyway but you glue and remove spacer your screws no longer line up
Or you have a big ol ugly gaposis with shiny light to haunt you all you days!👻👻👻👻
Well, that nose cap is ugly as dog manure anyway. Buy a nice, slim, new one that will work. I surely narrowed the forearm on the one that I'm redoing down a LOT. That, and removing the ugly "shelf" along the top edge.

My opinion, but works for me.

Im in east wa . In anundisclosed location😏and there aint doodley
Sep a crazy commie gov. No clubs ronday nuttin( however im kinda noncomplient anyway so) pick on my stitches i might have ta rough you up (.5'6"ms one eye partly parralyzed
Cant spell)105#🤕
You know, that's hooey. I know folks in WA and there's plenty of stuff. Use these here interwebs to locate them and don't act unibomberish around folks and you'll find some good people to shoot with.

The two piece stock has little to do with sliding any more than a one piece stock has. The two piece stock is much more a manufacturing cost cutting measure than a benefit to performance.

Now, the horizontal slotting of the tenons is important and a necessary step in the construction of a rifle. Most production rifles will not have the slotted tenons.

The rifle barrel and the wood in the stock have different amounts of expansion and contraction due to the heating of the barrel when the rifle is fired, and changes brought about by air temperature and humidity. The slotting of the tenons has more to do with allowing expansion due to the rifle barrel heating up, and to accommodate expansion of the wood to humidity changes and temperature changes.
Yup, and that there is the way it's been done by competent builders for hundreds of years. Just got done epoxying that spacer in place on one. If I were doing it over, i would have epoxied it together without the spacer.

I did a little research and found a 42" barrel heating 100°F will increase by about 0.027" over the entire length. Anchored at the tang and pinned in 3 places and the thermal expansion of a barrel between any two points is so small as to be insignificant.

Wood does expand and contract with humidity, but does so across the grain far more than with it.

Well, that nose cap is ugly as dog manure anyway. Buy a nice, slim, new one that will work. I surely narrowed the forearm on the one that I'm redoing down a LOT. That, and removing the ugly "shelf" along the top edge.

My opinion, but works for me.
Am looking at getting this kit for this coming winter. What replacement nose cap have you used and do you have a link to it ?

Regards,

Back