• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pattern for possibles bag?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ole

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I was wantin' to make my own possibles bag. Should I wing it or is there a pattern available. I already made a shootin' box with leather pockets and a leather tooled strap. I sure would like a nice leather bag.

Ole

I made my own. I found a picture that I liked, put it on a photo copy machine and enlarged it to the size I liked and cut it out of an old manela file folder. From there I modified it to suit my personal taste. This would let you use pictures of old original bags or what ever you liked. Just a thought.

I did the same thing falsears did in making a non-gusseted, D-shaped leather bag. Made my pattern out of grocery bag. I was pleased with the end product - appearance- and utility-wise.

Y know Half the fun is having to screw it up. I made mine twice. When it was done and I went to turn it rite side out..... well Lets just say that the Strap was on the inside not the outside. :rotf:

Seriously just wing it with the paper and have fun with it. I even put a little glass bottle holder in mine for my windex. There is not any wrong bag or right one Just the one that works for you. If ya look ot the photobucet pics there is a buck 110 ib it I guess now I can add a pocket for my Strider. :hmm:

one

Run a search on "hunting pouch" or "hunting bag" to get an idea of what a original bags look like.

I doubt that you will find anything by searching "possibles bag"

Most original bags seem to be about 8 inches wide X 7 deep, give or take a half inch or so.

You might want to use leather that is flexible enough to sew the bag inside out, then turn it right side out. When I said flexible, I mean fexible enough that it can be turned right side out, and still be stiff enough to hold its shape in use. 4 oz oil tan leather seems to work real well.

Add a half inch to each seam and sew the seam close to the edge, if you plan to make the bag inside out. You will loose that 1/2 inch when the bag is turned right side out.
J.D.

Book of Buckskinning #6 has some really good pictures and help to make a possible bag. It gives dimensions and variations.
My first one was the hardest, so don't give up if you have to do and redo.
Slash

Oak tan leather seems too stiff to stitch inside out and then turn, but if you get it wet, it will turn. Many original bags were constructed that way.

I made one from the pattern that was in Buckskinner magazine. I used 3-4 oz oak tan leather, and it came out pretty good, simple bag with no gusset. It took me a couple hours with simple hand tools, and I am happy with the result.
I've got enough leather left to make a couple more, but the one I have is great for woodswalks and small game hunting, so I cant think of what to change on the next one!

I use oak tanned leather on all my bags. The first one was 8" x 8.5" with a 2" gusset and double welted sewn inside out. I then wet it and turned it, with no problems. While still wet I stuffed it with rags old towels etc. to get the dry shape I wanted. I then sewed on a long bucktail flap and attached the strap with D-Rings. I had up to this point never worked with leather. It turned out so well I made three more, two as christmas gifts and one I traded. Come on give it a try.

go to the library and see if you can get, THE KENTUCKY RIFLE HUNTING POUCH by Madison Grant, great book with lotsa period pouches, I build 5 to 8 custom pouches a year, not real tuff, do your homework as to what size you want and what style, take your time and design your own patern and have at it! Try using a heavy oil finished hide , such as a blacksmiths side, 5 to 6 oz. good luck!

Hey there!
I posed this same question here sometime back and got the same responses you are getting now.
The top end of all this was the pics and pattern from Hobbles, here on this site. You can go into lots of books and see some neat concepts and pics, but no pattern persay. Take all the advice, make one out of paperbags, try it, change it ect.

Just my $.02,
I already beat the horse and found he had no pulse.

Brett

Back