• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just wondering, (at my age I do that a lot)if I could use olive oil and windex as a patch lube?

Thank You for the reply. Any particular recipe, or just play with mixture. I shoot a GPH, .54 percussion.

I've concluded that it really doesn't much matter what you use for patch lube

That conclusion might work for you in your gun to your satisfaction. But, it is a poor guide for others. Lube can make a difference and affect accuracy significantly.
BTW, dipping and soaking patch material is over kill and pointless. A moderate coating on the side that touches the bore is adequate.
Beeswax can be obtained from beekeepers. Just ask your county extension agent for names of some local beekeepers. They might even give you some. Buying some honey at the same time can go a long wat towards 'sweetening' :wink: the deal also.

galamb said:
I use "off the shelf" pre-lubed, pre-cut patches with Wonder Lube.

If the ball is .010 below bore size I use .018 pillow tick and if it's .005 below, then I use .010 cotton.

But I don't shoot for "clover leaf" groups. Sub 2" at 50 yards is as good as I need.

I just could never get the picture of Davy Crockett sitting around the campfire burning patch material because his micrometer said it was .022 instead of .019"....
LOL...Amen.

Personal opinion shooting .45/.50/.54/.58/.62cal .012" square groove barrels over the years is that .010" under bore size balls with .018" pillow ticking and a short starter is an excellent combination.
(exception is my .40cal... .005"(.395") undersize balls are excellent).
Have used precut / prelubed OxYoke patches by the thousands...under the labels of OxYoke, T/C, Traditions, CVA, Remington, etc...(all made by OxYoke as I understand it).

I had to bump up to thick .024"-.028" pillow ticking from Joannes Fabrics using deeper .016" round bottom groove barrels but that's another discussion.

I just adjust as necessary. If the first heating in the microwave indicates that more Crisco is needed I just add some more.
For what it is worth, I shoot a 50 cal GPR and, at 100 yards, with iron sights, I can get a 4 inch group while seated with my right elbow on the bench and the left supporting the forend of the rifle. After some 20 to 40 shots I may need to lubricate a patch with saliva but the fouling never gets to the point where cleaning is necessary to get a patched ball down the bore.
I use about 70 grains Goex 2F with a 490 RB I cast myself and the pillow ticking.

I make lube for patches mixturing at 70 C 60tallow + 20% beeswax + 20%generic oil.
I have never buy lubbed patch to compare with mine but i think my Final lube works fine

I've switched to the MrFlintlock patch lube & bore cleaner. Works great and the spout on the bottle allows you to apply neatly in the field. :thumbsup:

The best lube for shooting at the range is absolutely free. Just plain old spit does a wonderful job. Of course, it is not suitable for below freezing weather or for hunting. But for shooting at the range, it is the best thing you can use. For range use, I have found that straight Ballistol is an excellent choice but it must be applied to the patch so that it is almost dry. I have found that an easy way to achieve this is to saturate the patch material with Ballistol and let it sit for an hour or so to thoroughly penetrate the fibers. Then I squeeze out as much Ballistol as I can with my fingers. Next, I place the folded patch material between two wooden blocks and use a big C clamp to squeeze out any remaining Ballistol. You will end up with something that closely resembles the dry patches that Dutch Schoultz recommends. His is a more accurate method of applying different amounts of Ballistol but I have found that my way works pretty darned well, too. If you are using Dutch's method, an I highly recommend it, you will be doing the various dilutions just as he recommends. Try both ways and see what works best for you.

Back