• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patchbox Lid

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GobblerKnob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I just stained a wooden patchbox lid that I'm working on and noticed something that happened quite unintentionally.
As you can see, I put a grizzly paw print on the lid. When I stained it, I noticed that the grain flows in such a way that it makes the claws appear as though they scraped the length of the lid. I thought it was kind of neat. Rick

SlidingPatchbox.jpg

Sometimes ya just get lucky, and come up with something neat like that. Pretty cool!
Bill

That looks great! Don't tell anyone is was unintentional and they'll think you're ingenius! :)

dont tell anyone that it just happened...... Tell them that it was the result of lots of intense study. I wont give away your secret.

well, i must admit, that's slicker'n snake scat... nice work... leave it to a 'charcoal burner' to notice something like that and turn it into something really cool.

And here's the finished gun. It's a .54 caliber flintlock. I used a cider vinegar brew for the stain. The cheekpiece inlay is a deer antler burr with a turquoise bead in the center. I scrimshawed the cardinal points of the compass around the bead. She ships to Montana this week.

RSCloseUp.jpg

LeftSideFinished.jpg

LSII.jpg

Wow, that gun came out beautiful all around. The stain gives it the look of a true old timer. The box cover is a great accent. I especially like your relief carvings. Very clear and detailed. Thanks for the pics. :)

Back