• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I bought some bulk patch material, 1/2 yard, from TOW that is Eastern Maine Shooting brand. My question is, does it need to be washed before use, or is it ready to use as is. It looks exactly like the pre-cut patches from the same supplier.

Thanks!

I’m not entirely sure it matters. Some folks swear by washing it several times before use. Me? I didn’t wash mine. Just applied the lube and went shooting. Haven’t had any problems at all.

Used pillow ticking cloth. Washed one time. 1 1/2” wide by 3’ long and kept one end in my mouth during a timed match. While shooting in winter matches in Kentucky the patch would freeze to the muzzle……..

When you wash patch material, do you wash it by hand? Or in washing machine?
Water only, i.e. no soaps nor detergents?

I wash new material one time and then toss it in the dryer. I think I may sometimes forget to do that however.

I wash mine as well. And put it one of those zipper bags the women use for delicate things. It was of medium size actually pretty big since I was washing a full yard. Then dried in the heated dryer. Yeah the ends fray some but since I cut wide strips it doesn't matter to me.

Thanks for everyone's input. I figured most would say to wash it.

I guess what I'm really trying to figure out is if the manufacturer washes the material that they sell for pre-cut patches, and if not does it really matter? I've used the pre-cut patches with good success, and only bought the bulk material to save a little money. I'll contact them, and ask.

Maybe I'll do some 'sperimentin'.

Edited to add...it says right on their site that the material is ready to use. No washing necessary.

With the sizing removed and the patch material is softer, the patches can be more easily compressed in a tight load and conform to grooves to seal off the gases as the shot is fired. A larger ball can be used. Sure, the loading will be tighter with the larger ball. The ability of the washed patch material to conform to the ball and to the barrel will improve accuracy however slight it may be. I've been washing patch material since I started shooting patch round balls back in the dark ages. My hair color was much darker back in the dark ages.

A lot of good information. I usu cut at the muzzle from strips if pre-lube, sometimes pre-cut if spit patching so I can have one getting ready if I wish.. and I just look silly chewing on one end of a 3 ft piece of stripey cloth in public, although it can provide you with a bit more personal space at the range. (it's a flag for doping the wind). Having full strips available is good if I'm having a bad day re-sheathing my patch knife or wiping rain off of my flint (a pressure dressing can always come in handy). For new to patched RB.. do NOT use cotton cloth with polyester in it or stretchy denim etc.. It can foul the bore. If you lube your patch material with 1:7 Ballistol (or whatever ratio you figure your rifle likes best if you try Dutch's method) lay it flat to dry. Take your micrometer to the fabric store to check what you're getting. That's tonight's $0.02 worth.

Latest posts

Back