• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch and Bullet Lube, Don`t tell the wife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

homebrew .357

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all, When I finished making my .45 Hawken I looked around for patch lube and bullet lube and found there`s more types of lube than a hound dogs got fleas, ticks, and hair. So was still thinking of this when my wife was away for a few days, having a shave in our bathroom I saw on the bench the wife`s large jar of Antiage and Wrinkle cream,!! on a closer look it had Shea butter,(bore butter), Lanolin, Olive oil, Avocado oil. Hell, it was all there, the best patch and bullet lube, so got a empty jar and flicht a goodly lot, lubed up some patches and put some bullets in a jar and tumbled them with the wife`s best face cream. At the range it works a treat, keeps the fowling soft and easy to clean.
As an added benefit using the antiageing and wrinkle my barrel is as young as the day I made it and all the wrinkles in the bore have all gone!. :rotf: Cheers, Homebrew.357.

I'll bet that cream will probably remove the wrinkles on balls.
Many times after casting, I notice that I have a couple that are wrinkled :shocked2:
So what is the name brand wrinkle remover?
Seriously, I am very sure that some of those creams would suit us well in our needs for patching lube, rather than some of our garage mechanic lubes.
Thank you for the tip!
Fred

You're a brave man, stealing your wife's face cream!! Only problem with using that sort of stuff is the price (if you can't steal it)!
Very expensive for a little jar.

Here's a thought, maybe the converse applies and our patch lubes would make good face creams :rotf: .

Mind you It can get you some queer looks at the rifle range, with oil of lavender, strawberry and some other bits in it, they think I`m ac/dc.
The funny thing is when my wife came back from seeing her sister, they had been shopping, and she had bought some new face cream! :hmm: ,But no, I didn't, she said I`m throwing out my old stuff, It`s to greasy , :) Ill put it in the rubbish for you dear, :thumbsup: Cheers, Homebrew.357.

now, seriously, what brand of face cream is this? (by the way, my mother, who was a 'fasionista' to the max, and was cremated wearing her Ferragamo shoes, used plain old udder cream on her hands ... a tip from her much more practical mid western sister) ... haven't tried udder cream as a patch lube - maybe there's something to that...

:idunno:

Ok, Pisst!,Ill only say this once, it`s called ( Planet SPA) African shea butter, Whipped body balm. Avon, made in china. Could be duck fat, :stir: .
Now for my bullet lube I did the right thing and bought some SPG bullet lube, mixed some with a bit of olive oil to make it softer and tumbled the bullets in it to lube.
Now I got the SPG lube for when I finish another rifle I`m making, :nono: No carn`t say what it is on this forum, it is in the next mumilleum !, but there is a pic of it on the SPG lube acket, :wink: , Cheers, Homebrew.357.

ac/dc.......isn't that some kind of musical group of weird rockers.....probably ride old Harley Davidson motor bikes?
Nothin' to do with real muzzleloading!
Us old muzzleloaders smell bad ( black powder smoke ), we're behind times, walk about chewing on a small piece of rag ( probably no tobacco left??) mostly real friendly, won't accept change, wear funny clothes with unusual hats and last but not least, walk about with a extra long piece ( gun ) that most other 21st century people don't recognize.
So using some sweet smelling lube cream, will never catch on, we much prefer some rancid bear, or possum fat.
Fred

I have to think the intoxicating sensual fragrance wafting down the firing line would elicit looks and comments that I would not want to deal with. Bacon grease on the other hand...

Being New Zealand is a Island. Not to many places a guy can hide when the wife is on the war-path with her hubby. Especially when (He's) using her spendy beautiful appearance facial cream for a> Black Powder Patch Lube of all things. :shake:

Now hang on a minute mate, New Zealand an Island,?, It is two big Islands, the north and south Island and I can hide quite well,so could Alaska and Texsa, and she hasent court me yet. Now in NZ we stalk our deer in the bush and it must be into the wind, so to find out which way the wind is blowing I use the wife`s tulcum poweder in a puffer contain to check the breeze, and look out when the stags smell it, you realy have to hide. :rotf: Cheers, Homebrew.357.

Mercy! And I thought hunting in Arkansas was tough! We only have black bears, wild hogs, chiggers, Eastern rattlenakes, copperheads and ticks no end, not Bullwinkle amorously after the hunter! :shocked2: (Unless one incorrectly uses doe urine!) :shocked2: :shocked2: Tree.

homebrew.357 said:
Now hang on a minute mate, New Zealand an Island,?, It is two big Islands, the north and south Island and I can hide quite well, and she hasn't caught me yet.
After a quick peek at Google Maps I was humbled by what I saw. I stand corrected Sir. :bow:

Well there you go, and have a look at Hunting in NZ, and it`s a good place for a holiday too, we have dam good beer. Cheers boys, :thumbsup: Homebrew.357.

homebrew.357 said:
Well there you go, and have a look at Hunting in NZ, and it`s a good place for a holiday too, we have dam good beer. Cheers boys, :thumbsup: Homebrew.357.

I can attest to the quality of NZ beer ... but there are a wide variety of micro and nano brews here in Northern New England which would give them a good run.

perhaps the smell of the wrinkle cream would improve (in masculine noses, anyway) with the addition of some half rancid bear fat?

Eau du Roadkill?

Latest posts

Back