• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pasties, the perfect food!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bnail

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Just sitting down to a pasty for breakfast and realized this just might be the perfect camp meal. I know the history of it in the UP, but does any know how far back it dates?

Animation5.gif
Doesn't this look like the breakfast of champions?

Skagun, I think that would be a great camp food...I had a friend who used to make those quite alot...and they are very good..would you make them ahead and take them with you, or make them at camp?

I'd make 'em ahead of time and wrap 'em in wax paper. heat 'em up in a dutch oven, and toss the wrappers in the fire. no fuss; no muss.

yup no fuss not muss and you have most of your food groups right their in your hand :) why dont you send me a recipe to put in our forum book for them :applause:

Ok you have stimulated my "ignorance" light to shine. What is a pasty??? And I agree with the preceeding post let's post the recipe---mebbe I will try to make 'em. Probably knock my blood sugar into the next century---but worth a try---n'est ce pas? :thanks:

Just sitting down to a pasty for breakfast and realized this just might be the perfect camp meal. I know the history of it in the UP, but does any know how far back it dates?

One of my favorite lunch meals. Haven't made them in years, tho. I'll have to rectify that this week :)

Here's a link to the history and recipes...
-->Yummy food here!<--

According to the site, they go back to Cornwall, 13 or 14th century and became more popular with copper and tin miners. The pasty was exported as the residents emigrated to the US and other locales. There's mention of it in Shakespeare's plays, and a letter in existence from a baker to Henry VIII's third wife, Jane Seymour.

Now I'm hungry... gotta see if I have the fixin's for pasty-making this afternoon :D

Ok you have stimulated my "ignorance" light to shine. What is a pasty???

It's like a hand held pot-pie, the crust is folded over to double as a bun...

Yea, what is a "pasty", doesn't it have some thing to do with strip clubs, and the law?
:hmm:
:redthumb:
Redwing

Pasties, :eek: va va va voom!

actually, if you go into a restaurant and ask for a "Pay'stee" they'll very quickly tell you it's pronounced, "pa'stee"

Roger, Wilco Cookie.

I'll get the wife to dig out her recipe, or, If I can, I'll find one of the old timer's family recipes for tradition's sake. :thumbsup:

The Scots have a kind of pasty called a "bridie" not as good as the Cornish pasty, but not bad to slip in a hunting jacket pocket to take along...it is a lot less of innards, mostly sausage meat and onion, and thick crust..Hank

Hey Hank, I've heard of the Scottish meat pies, never had one though.
I think that most cultures have a meat pie of some type. The French have the Tortiere, the Mexicans have the burrito, the Phillipinoes have one whose name escapes me at the moment, The Japanese have the Egg roll (don't know how far back that dates) and the Koreans have Yakimondu.
Oh, and the American have the Swanson's Frozen Pot pie :crackup:

Pasties, :eek: va va va voom!

actually, if you go into a restaurant and ask for a "Pay'stee" they'll very quickly tell you it's pronounced, "pa'stee"

It took me a couple of trips through the yoop before I realized this. One little corner gas station/food stop was named after some Queen so-and-so, and had a sign to stop in and try the Queen's pasties. I told my wife that these yoopers must be a much more liberal lot than I had figured.

Doesn't this look like the breakfast of champions?

Should it really be that colour? White and pink is what you'd expect, it's a working mans lunch of meat and potatoes, cooked seperately, diced and wrapped in pastry. Yours looks like decomposition has set in :kid:

I don't eat them myself but my wife does. About once a week she gets an urge to see how many different kinds of starch she can put on one plate :rolleyes: I'd rather have a curry :thumbsup:

Well you stimulated my appetite for something different. They look like Jamaican Beef Patties---however I ran across this one from Michigan's UP---- web page--- it sure seems like lot's of work, but mebbe worth it??? :peace:

Squire Robin, I would have to defer to your wisdom, as you hale from the home of the Pasty. We Yanks will over cook everythink if you let US. My Brother-in-law is from County Durham and has his own concept of a pasty that is completely different from our Yooper delicasy.
As a side note, the Andy Griffith Show featured an episode where a British butler introduced this dish. it was served as pictured in my first post (Beef, potatoes, and Rutabagas)in one half, and plum pudding in the other half. The diner starts at one end with lunch, and finish off with desert! I've seen no documentation for this variation however.

According to the site, they go back to Cornwall, 13 or 14th century and became more popular with copper and tin miners.
Yep, they are downright medieval. Also think they are referred to in the old "four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie."

Tried them when I was in the UK. That stuff will never beat a good ole Pizza.

:redthumb:
Redwing

Back