• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Panic"? Buys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So the last little bit here I have ended up adding some more C&B revolvers. I kept watching one after another go out of stock with no apparent restock date and whit what was going on in Italy it seemed a good time to pick up a piece or two I had a hankering for, well one or two turned into four, as there was a mistake and some deals presented themselves. Probably will turn out that economy turns around quick and the Italians ship a bunch soon at lower prices, the way my luck works 😄

Not sure if was panic or just an excuse, but I have to say I am pleased with all of them, and shipping from Dixie, BudK and Kittery Trading Post, through the Post Office and Fedex, was fast and uneventful. Got some powder and caps, etc coming from Graf's as well whenever they get to shipping it.. Anyone else made any "panic" purchases?
SAM_0548.JPG

Nice collection. Haven't really made any panic buy purchases but I have been wanting a Griswold & Gunnison for the longest time. I finally got around to order one and there were none to be had. This was prior to all these current affairs. Maybe someday. I really like that Dance revolver you got there! One of the best handling .44s in my opinion. It just feels incredibly balanced to me.

Yeah the Griswold's are hard to find right now. I got a decent deal on the Dance from Bud K, they had it for $300 minus 10% promotion with free shipping. At first they had told me it was out of stock and they'd notify me when available, that's when I ordered the 1st Model Dragoon from Dixie which they had on sale. A day later I got a shipping notice from BudK. What's one to do? That was the "mistake" I mentioned.

Bud K has a limited selection of BP guns but with their somewhat regular 10% off and fee shipping deals they can make for a good buy.

I was settling on just having the Dragoon for my birthday back in February, but figured I would need a second gun if they were ever going up above the fireplace some day. So I rushed out to get the 1860 before the sky fell in.

No panic buying here, but since we have the stimulus money in the bank as of last Wednesday, I bought a very spendy book: "Dance & Brothers: Texas Gunmakers of the Confederacy" (Gary Wiggins, 1986). There was only one printing of this book (1986) and prices have skyrocketed in recent years. Go ahead and laugh: I paid $238 plus tax and shipping for it, but it has been on my list of must have for about 3 years. I could not justify it until last week.

I am a huge Dance .36 fan and had contemplated creating one using a Pietta 1851 Navy .36, the smooth cylinder and part round/part octagon barrel from the Pietta Griswold & Gunnison, and milling off the recoil shields (even though there is at least one example of an original Dance .36 with recoil shields). I even ordered the barrel and cylinder from VTI 2 years ago to create a Leech & Rigdon (which Pietta does not market), which was to be the donor revolver for it:

To my amazement, a site called October Country (Idaho) bought most, if not all, of Dr. Jim L. Davis' collection (RPRCA) after he passed last September. I managed to snag (in late December) a cased Pietta Dance .36, SN C00013, BH/1996, one of only 35 produced during a run commissioned by Tony Gajewski, owner of SWML Supply (Texas), now out of business. I was only interested in the revolver as the case and accoutrements were not original to the gun. I bought the cased set for $300 and sold everything except the revolver to a friend for $150, so my total cost for the gun was $150.

For anyone here interested in both Pietta (1996) and Uberti (1985) Dance revolvers, I have written up a thread on another forum pertaining to these guns.

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,560.0.html
I have a good friend on another forum who has decided to modify a Gregorelli & Uberti (1959), which was ridden hard and put up wet for many years prior to him obtaining it, as a Dance .36 using a drill press and hand tools. I think he is progressing well.

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,591.msg2920/boardseen.html#new
Hope this post was helpful.

Regards,

Jim

No panic buying here, but since we have the stimulus money in the bank as of last Wednesday, I bought a very spendy book: "Dance & Brothers: Texas Gunmakers of the Confederacy" (Gary Wiggins, 1986). There was only one printing of this book (1986) and prices have skyrocketed in recent years. Go ahead and laugh: I paid $238 plus tax and shipping for it, but it has been on my list of must have for about 3 years. I could not justify it until last week.

I am a huge Dance .36 fan and had contemplated creating one using a Pietta 1851 Navy .36, the smooth cylinder and part round/part octagon barrel from the Pietta Griswold & Gunnison, and milling off the recoil shields (even though there is at least one example of an original Dance .36 with recoil shields). I even ordered the barrel and cylinder from VTI 2 years ago to create a Leech & Rigdon (which Pietta does not market), which was to be the donor revolver for it:

To my amazement, a site called October Country (Idaho) bought most, if not all, of Dr. Jim L. Davis' collection (RPRCA) after he passed last September. I managed to snag (in late December) a cased Pietta Dance .36, SN C00013, BH/1996, one of only 35 produced during a run commissioned by Tony Gajewski, owner of SWML Supply (Texas), now out of business. I was only interested in the revolver as the case and accoutrements were not original to the gun. I bought the cased set for $300 and sold everything except the revolver to a friend for $150, so my total cost for the gun was $150.

For anyone here interested in both Pietta (1996) and Uberti (1985) Dance revolvers, I have written up a thread on another forum pertaining to these guns.

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,560.0.html
I have a good friend on another forum who has decided to modify a Gregorelli & Uberti (1959), which was ridden hard and put up wet for many years prior to him obtaining it, as a Dance .36 using a drill press and hand tools. I think he is progressing well.

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/revolvers/index.php/topic,591.msg2920/boardseen.html#new
Hope this post was helpful.

Regards,

Jim

Helpful, yes, and enjoyable as well, being a Dance fancier myself. Don't have a .36 but landing the ,44 was on my list for a while. Hopefully one day I come across a .36 at a good price as you were able to do.

I am with you on the books. It is incredible they way some firearms related books have shot up in value. There are some that are just "must haves" though, and while much information can be gleaned on the internet, there is nothing like holding a well written well put together volume on your favorite subjects, that is always handy for reference when you want it.

Back