• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pan Primer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhwestfall

40 Cal.
Reaction score
(okay, I thought I was asking the question, but here is the revised one) Anyone know of a good pan primer that works when you use fffg? From what I have read, these darn things need the finer powders to work correctly. True?

3F is all I ever used for prime. Mainly cause when I got into flintlocks, its what I had on hand. Found it to work just fine in my 1792 Contract rifle and see no reason to buy 4F.

All of the pan primers i have used didn't work well with anything but 4f powder. 3f just wouldn't flow right. There might be one out there that will work with 3f, or you might be able to drill the hole out in one of the ones on the market to make it work with 3f

I recently ordered one from TOTW that throws 4 grains and it works great with 3f.

Huntin

Nope couldn't get FFFg to flow at all. took five or six taps to get enough to prime.

This isn't very PC, but I use a one ounce fabric paint bottle, cut the spout off at the right point so that you can get the powder to flow right and you're in business. It works like a charm.

Well doh guess I read this wrong, disregard my first post.

I bought one from TOTW too, brass and throws 4 grains, probably same one out a huntin bought. It works just fine with 3F.

I use 3F in the pan also. It doesn't draw moisture quite as bad as 4F does on those damp days.

I burn 2f in my .54 and .62 so I prime with 4f. If I used 3f in a gun I might prime with it too. :results:

I recently ordered one from TOTW that throws 4 grains and it works great with 3f.

Huntin

Which one did you order? I see TOTW has several to choose from.

Thanks!

Jerry

Huntin
Which one did you order? I see TOTW has several to choose from. Thanks! Jerry

FYI, the "Possibles Shop" at the top of this forum also carries them...its the "Magnum" pan primer...$10.00

If you can, please let me know which one. :: There are 4 there if I remember correctly. ::

BobW ::

I recently switched to FFFG to prime the pan, as I use it in the main charge also. It works as good as FFFFG, as a prime charge. I still use my Thompson/Center pan charger, part# T/C 7020, and it dispenses the FFFG just as well.

I have tried the fffg as a primer and it seemed to work well. But I bought 2 pounds of Goex ffffg so I think I will be shooting this for some time. One of those things where another shooter wanted a pound too, then changed their mind at the time of arrival. Since I bought it, I will shoot it...

I have tried the fffg as a primer and it seemed to work well. But I bought 2 pounds of Goex ffffg so I think I will be shooting this for some time. One of those things where another shooter wanted a pound too, then changed their mind at the time of arrival. Since I bought it, I will shoot it...

:agree:
Goex FFFFg is all I use for prime...125grns every Saturday at the range, perfect;

Same for hunting where I don't let it be a problem as I refresh the prime every 30-60 minutes depending on humidity...takes 10 seconds, costs less than a penny.
Pan primer fits in a shirt pocket, never had a problem hunting either.

Like myself, you will be priming for some time if ya got 2# FFFFg........I think I'm only on about the 3rd can of FFFFg and I've been using it for a couple of years now, and I am determined to use it up!.

Like some of the others, I tried to prime with FFFg, using the same Pan Primer I use with FFFFg, and the results were not good. Not good at all!

However , Licking my thumb, wipping the pan with my thumb after I licked it, then dumping in some FFFg from the prime horn, dumping the excess out of the pan, and closing the frizzen, told me that FFFg works just as good as any FFFFg I've ever used.

A couple of the fellers at the range tried it, and now that's all they use. I believe it has something to do with the larger "polished" surface of the grains of 3f.
I'm also told it is much less susceptible to moisture, all the way around.

When first told of this method, I laughed. Why would anyone intentionally wet the pan by licking their thumb, then wipping the pan??? Made no sense at all!
I was totally amazed at how little 3f it takes to do the job....when I say "just a few grains", that's an understatement....it's more like "just a few kernals".
I dump out as much again, compared to what remains in the pan.....it's absolutely amazing "how little" it takes to do the job.

Just my thoughts, on this very controversial subject. Reminds me of the Ford / Chevy thingy.

Russ

BobW:

I make a small priming horn and add a three (3) grain priming spout to it. That appears to be the exact amount that the Large Siler locks that I use want for a fast ignition. And of course I always use FFFFX priming powder.

Latest posts

Back