• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Palmetto?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TQMC

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Say has anyone any info on 1858 New Model Army - .44 Cal.
By: Palmetto? I cant say I recall the maker? Were they a well made revolver were they made by Uberti or pietta? Thanks:

From what I have read on this and other forums, Palmetto seemed to have been the "bottom of the barrel" (no pun intended) as far as quality went. Better than nothing at all, but not by much. They were NOT manufactured by Uberti or Pietta.

Hope this helps.

Can you find any markings on the revolver that would provide more help in identifying it?

I agree.
Palmetto has been in business for many years and has steadfastly kept the "bottom of the barrel" reputation.

Their Remington is undoubtedly safe to shoot because the Italians require proofing of all guns made there but if I were thinking of buying a C&B pistol I would save my money and look for something made by a more reputable maker.

If I already had bought one of the guns made by Palmetto I would shoot it and smile when I was finished and nothing broke.

The pistol in question may be fairly well made and last for years giving many hours of fun but if it broke I wouldn't be surprised.

Palmetto has been around since almost the beginning of the replica resurgence. Dixie Gun Works used them for their name brand revolvers. The only mark you will find on these early Dixie guns, besides the "Dixie Gun Works" on the barrel, is the little palm tree logo usually on the cylinder.

Palmetto is no more. They have faded from sight with several importers left with unfilled orders. Even though their quality may not have been that good they are a collectable firearm. Example: There have been two Palmetto Roots Side Hammer revolvers in 5 1/2" barrel in 31cal that sold for over $500 on Gun Broker. These were hard to find to begin with, the .31cal usually in 3 1/2" barrel. They also made a .36cal with fluted cylinder with 5 1/2" barrel.

Palmetto is back on the market, it is owned by the same family as Chaparral arms, and recent production is to be avoided.
Some new revolvers are so badly manufactured that they are sold as non-functioning by some retailers in France because of misalignement of chamber/barrel. Sometimes a product is correct but anyway there is no aftermarket service.
Anyhow some products in the past were good quality and they are the only manufacturer of some models (e.g.Roots)

So it is a risky choice......

"...they are the only manufacturer of some models (e.g.Roots)"
------

And that's kinda sad.

Even when the Roots was made by Colt it had a poor reputation because its complexity caused failures.

Now, we have one of the worst companies building one of Colts more complex guns. :shake:

While I would never buy one of them they are an interesting little sidehammer revolving gun.

Zonie said:
While I would never buy one of them they are an interesting little sidehammer revolving gun.

You got my curiosity up so I had to go find a pic. Interesting indeed...

colt-root-revolver-4.jpg

Sorry for the hijack. Continue on...

Cage

Back