• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pack Frame

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flint311

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Just finished this for an overnight hike with a church group. I'm going "old school" to show 'em how it's done (and test equipment I've made).

Really didn't take long. It's made from poplar trees, very light.

IMG_0344_zpswdmtm83d.jpg
[/URL][/img]

I made one that is pretty much the exact same as yours, out of Brazilian peppertree wood. Very light and strong. You should be happy with it for years to come.

When I first started "trekking", I built one from mountain maple (mortise & tenon joints tied with rawhide). Used it for a couple of trips and it has been in the garage since then. Found a small soft pack far easier to carry and less of a hassle...

Black Hand said:
When I first started "trekking", I built one from mountain maple (mortise & tenon joints tied with rawhide). Used it for a couple of trips and it has been in the garage since then. Found a small soft pack far easier to carry and less of a hassle...

Would you like to part with that...?

Good job on the frame! Should serve you well.

I have a general rule that I don't let prototypes out of my possession (they are learning exercises)...:wink:

This was kinda a prototype for me too.

Guessed size based on pictures from previous posts. Top of frame is at earlobe level. Bottom is with arm straight down by my side, I bent my hand back in a 90 degree at the wrist. This was the bottom and cut poles to length. Side to side will fit just inside armpits, so I can move arms freely when walking, etc.

Thought of making a bag style, but this may impress them :idunno:
and they mentioned pack frames they use...

It's just fun making stuff like this to use.

Thanks for all the nice comments. Will have to load it up and get pics, but may be a while yet.
Flint

Very sim. to one I made as a Boy Scout when 14 and used many years. When I came home from Korea it was missing along with several other treasures I never saw again, such as a steel fly rod given to me by my Gran Dad and a Crossman .22 cal. pellet rifle.

HOW VERY WELL that I & many another GI understands that!!!
(In my case, it was my GF's gold pocket watch, 2 good shotguns, my dad's 9mm Luger pistol (that he brought home from WWII) & my boat/motor/trailer that "mysteriously disappeared", while I was OCONUS.)

yours,satx

I completely understand!

The OP did a great job, I really like the simplicity of these packs. I personally have no experience with them but from the images it looks as if you can get just about anything on it. My only question is comfort over a great distance and weight distribution?

Mine is pretty darn comfy, but you need to load it in order to maximize weight distribution. I usually do four rows, lighter ones on top and bottom, the heavier ones in the middle. But I am curious how it would hold up after a serious trekking/hunting day out in the woods.

Greenmtnboy had a good thread regarding his pack frame, which is what I duplicated. Seems like he put his through heck and high water and it held up.

Pack frames are great with heavy loads. I have minimized the weight I carry in the woods, so a frame isn't necessary.

Just curious, can any of you find a period painting, sketch, or even reference to pack frames in the 18th c., or even early 19th c. I could not, but would like to see any info you may have come across regarding them.

Wick, I was in the same situation. I did find one painting that was saved in my phone of a french soldier carrying what appeared to be some sort of pack frame. I'll try and find that for you. To date that was the only image I have found, other than Otzi and obviously Native cradle boards and willow framed packs.

Personally, I think something such as this would have more of a woodcrafting/ primitive appeal rather than being HC. I'm personally preparing for a weekend trek up Mount Leconte in the smokies. Something such as this would suit my needs as I trek with no modern packs, bags or gizmos nor do I own any modern camping or hiking gear.

Back