• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

P53 P58 Enfield target shooters here?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's formal target shooting.

Rifle ranges, with wind flags etc and known distances. Modern shooting jackets / gloves are permitted and used by many.

Rifles are original or 'in the spirit of the original', so no glass bedding. Only support is the military two point sling (single point slings are not permitted). No wrist rests or x-sticks.

Repros are almost exclusively Parker-Hale, which are relatively easy to track down in the UK.

The rifle most commonly used in MLAGB matches is the ”˜two band’ Enfield. The Parker-Hale Pattern 1858 Naval Rifle is popular, as are original versions of this or similar Short Rifles. The common feature is the 33 inch barrel with 1 in 48 inch twist rifling. The Pattern 1853 Rifle Musket is however seen on the ranges and can perform well. One attribute perhaps accounting for the popularity of the shorter rifle is the sights; the rearsight is placed four inches further away from the eye and this can enable the shooter to gain a clear picture of the sights.

Grease grooved Minie bullets are in general use. Some shooters have experimented with paper patched bullets and there have also been those that have made the hollow nosed bullets which William Metford had competition success with in the early 1860s. Paper cartridges don’t feature.

An increase in powder charge is generally made above that used at 100m/yd and to compensate for this some have modified base plugs on their bullet moulds to cast a thicker skirt on their Minie bullet.

Where the discipline really comes into its own is the ability to aim off to allow for wind. Sights are crude when compared to the match rifle, with just a simple slide for elevation and no windage adjustment. With the rainbow like trajectory of the typical 540-560 grain bullet, close attention to changing conditions is essential. Slight changes in head or tail winds and the bullet will drop short of or sail over the target. Point of aim may be several feet to the side of the target if the wind is strong; if one is lucky a clump of grass or other such feature in the butts may provide a point of reference!

David
Mr Press, would you please tell us your load for these matches?

Currently shooting an original Birmingham made Enfield Short RIfle, similar to P.60/P61. I use an RCBS Minie with a shallow base cavity, weighing approx. 560 grains. Charge is 80 grains of Swiss No. 4 (1.5Fg).

With this and in the MLAGB National Rifle Championship matches held so far this year for Enfield rifles I won 200 yard offhand, was 2nd 200 yards prone, 4th 300 yards prone and won 500 yards prone (also set a new MLAGB record score for 500 yards).

David

Currently shooting an original Birmingham made Enfield Short RIfle, similar to P.60/P61. I use an RCBS Minie with a shallow base cavity, weighing approx. 560 grains. Charge is 80 grains of Swiss No. 4 (1.5Fg).

With this and in the MLAGB National Rifle Championship matches held so far this year for Enfield rifles I won 200 yard offhand, was 2nd 200 yards prone, 4th 300 yards prone and won 500 yards prone (also set a new MLAGB record score for 500 yards).

David
Thank you. What do you use for your bullet lube and how do you apply it?

Last edited:
Thank you. What do you use for your bullet lube and how do you apply it?
Bees wax and olive oil. I just dip the bullets in the molten lube then stand on a paper towel. Once dry I push the bullets through a sizing die, which leaves the grooves nicely filled with lube. Others will offer an endless list of lubes, different ways of applying it or make paper cartridges.

David

Back