• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Owen County Kentucky, December Hunt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
haggis i put an l&r lock on my gpr 54 flint. best 119 bucks i ever spent it aint a drop in there is a small amount of inletting to do about an hours work and its ready you wont be sorry
weasel

Thanks a heap Weasel! I once had a .40, benchmade, that had an L&R lock on it. I used that old gun for a number of years. I squirrel hunted with it in Kentucky. It had a Douglas barrel 44" long, and some folks used to say the reason that I could head shoot squirrels was because I could thread that long barrel up through the limbs and just stick it behind the squirrel's ear.

I assume you don't like the lock spring thing because they are not period correct? If so, you will hate seeing "Made in Italy" stamped into the side of the barrel.
There are things you can do with coil springs you can't with flat springs, such as changing them out for stronger springs for the hammer or weaker springs for the sear.
L&R doesn't make a replacement lock for a LeftHand GPR so I had to tune my old one. It works great now and L&R has lost a sale if they ever make a LH lock.
I also replaced my trigger with a deerslayer from RE Davis. This is far superior to the Lyman trigger and I would highly recommend it.
Your biggest problem won't be the lock, it will be the touch hole liner. Modify or replace that and go hunting with the Lyman lock and the gun will be fine.

I hate the "Made in Someplace" stamp almost, well more actually, than the coil spring. A body can always cut out the "Made in" protion of the barrel and put in a brass patch with one's name on it. Just cut, file, or grind off a 32nd or a bit less, and in with a patch.

When I was younger I would bore out the touch hole on flinters and install an undercut (bored from the backside) stainless steel vent. I read someplace that quality flinters from back in the day used platinum vents made in such a way and stainless was as close as I could come on farm laborer wages.

I don't know which is harder, building from scratch or cleaning up the off the shelf version.

I think as I get older and I think more that the number of days that I have remaining to finish a project are becoming increasingly limited, I also become increasing willing to accept "glitches' in my historically correct mentality.

Back