• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oval Bean Patchbox stuck!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimonKenton

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I got my new Bean rifle in July. I have yet to shoot it but I check it for signs of the demon corrosion monthly even in the winter. Living in the northeast makes you a bit paranoid about rust. Anyway, I suddenly decided to pop open the patchbox. It's a brown iron oval with one lid, the so-called "early Bean" style from TVM. When I pull the latch back it used to snap part way open. Now I have to pry it open. I bent the spring out a tad and it popped a couple of times and then stuck again. The hinge shows no over signs of rust, but does not swing loosely as before. Can the patchbox be removed easily and the hinge oiled? What's a good oil that will loosen it up AND discourage any further rust if any?

-Ray :(

Hmmmmm. Sounds like a possible cause could be the wood maybe swelling a bit and pinching the lid between the two patchbox sides as they move inward towrds the lid piece. It could be tight all along the two sides. Hard to tell without actually seeing it.

I've got a small non-aerosol bottle of Rem-Oil with Teflon. Any reason that wouldn't be a good choice? The lid doesn't seem to be hitting the wood. The hinge just does not want to swing freely like it did and the spring isn't strong enough to force it open.

-Ray ::

What's a good oil that will loosen it up AND discourage any further rust if any?

WD40 will work as good as anything.

Woody

Unwritten law of the universe. If it moves and shouldn't, duct tape it. If it should move and don't, WD-40 it. :crackup: :crackup:

I've got a small non-aerosol bottle of Rem-Oil with Teflon. Any reason that wouldn't be a good choice? The lid doesn't seem to be hitting the wood. The hinge just does not want to swing freely like it did and the spring isn't strong enough to force it open.

-Ray ::

After browning, the solution (rusting agent) is often not killed completely and continues to work for sometime, even after being oiled. This can lead to frozen or gunked up movements, try a little oil, if it helps, add some more if needed.

. I bent the spring out a tad and it popped a couple of times and then stuck again.
-Ray :(

Simon,
If the "spring" was able to be bent up, it was tempered too soft to begin with. Sounds like a new "pop open" spring is in order, or reharden and retemper the old one. A good spring will not "keep" a bend.
Regards,
Terry

I found some Break Free among the odds and ends. It's supposed to penetrate well and prevent future corrosion. Have any of you had experiences (good or not so good) with this on external parts like the patchbox hinge?

-Ray :what:

Break free is a damn good penetrateing oil give it a squirt but as with any penetrateing oil try not to get it on the stock

Woody

Woodhick,

The hinge does seem rusted and there may be some rubbing of the wood that was not present before. I am loathe to send the gun back for this minor problem. I kept it in one of those breathable fabric cases (coarse woolen) from MLBS. I hope the humidity of the fall didn't cause the wood to swell. I have dripped tiny droplets of Break Free on the hinge and it helped a little but I'm going to keep it uncased for a week or two to see if the wood returns to its original condition. I'd rather not do anything as radical and scraping the inlet out.

-Ray :huh:

Good deal.. keep working it with the breakfree and wipe it off good before you let it sit so it doesn't run on the stock finish.
And when you find time give it another shot of oil and work it some more.
you maybe right if you had it stored in a humid condition . the wood may be swelled a lil but if you keep it in a dry area it should straighten out in a lil time.

Best of luck

Woody

Woodhick,

Some success after all!!! I used a sparing amount of Break Free and the stuff is well-named! The hinge moves better and so far the lid pops open. I will continue to store the gun exposed. I hope I don't get a lot of grief for hanging it on a wall, but I can't see a better option. I may add a smidge more oil tomorrow evening after the first application has worked in as far as it can get. I am leaving some old cloth in the patchbox in case any oil seeps out. Keeping the digits firmly crossed. Now if I could only figure out how to sight this beauty the way I did 17 years ago (before diabetes and bifocals) I'll be in hog heaven.

-Ray :thumbsup:

Glad that helped.. and if you run into any other stumbling blocks just give a yell. Lots of fine folks on here that are more than willing to get you set in the right direction.

Woody

I would not be too concerned about storing a gun on the wall. That is where a few of mine are. The wife has finally begun to agree that these are American art and deserve to be on some walls.

Just give them the attention that they deserve.

CS

Back