• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ouch!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had something similar happen with a flint .32. Went off without warning. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

I saw a squirrel, and raised up. The cock fell as soon as I removed my thumb, after a positive click to full cock.

For me, it ended up being the set trigger out of adjustment. I have found myself now checking for this every time I go to full cock, even on other guns.

I have not had burning powder grains from the pan embedded in my fingers — yet. But I have felt the heat of burning grains on the first two fingers of my shooting hand upon occasion when firing my Charleville. I went shooting a week ago and still have a slightly sore spot on my trigger finger where I can see a slight surface "trail" of scorched skin. So maybe it is only a matter of time?

I HAVE noticed something similar has happened before when I put too much powder in the pan. I always try to go with just enough to cover the bottom; not filling the pan.

Hmmm,

Cured 'Flinch' Fever - Check
Dryballed Flinter - Check
Cut fingers on flint - Check
Broken flints on first strike - Check
Shot attempted with no flint (fell out) - Check
Leather, Lead, and sticks on the ground flint shim use - Check
No spark on a hunting shot - Check
5-10 second hangfire on flinter (and still hit target - with no score though) - Check

and now the 'Vent-Tattoo'.

I'll be submitting my thesis to flintlock school of muzzleloading later this week. Fingers crossed for at least a masters degree in Flintlockery. 🤓
If I could add one more:
Shoot a 60 cal RB from a flint smoothbore pistol at a target on a dead oak tree. Have the ball come straight back between my eyes.......check........🤪

Don

Sorry for the mishap, but thanks for sharing. Being new to flintlocks, it was good to read this for future reference so I may be able to avoid similar. Thanks.

I had something similar happen with a flint .32. Went off without warning. Scared the bejeezus out of me.

I saw a squirrel, and raised up. The cock fell as soon as I removed my thumb, after a positive click to full cock.

For me, it ended up being the set trigger out of adjustment. I have found myself now checking for this every time I go to full cock, even on other guns.
Huh..... I didn't consider the trigger. Tried it a bunch afterwards to try to replicate the problem.

I had not yet set it because I had just fired, buuuuuuuuuut, what if the trigger hung from the last shot I wonder. It did go to half cock OK. I put it there to close the frizzen. hmmmmm.

I had a bout of "vent tattoo" years ago that taught me a valuable lesson. I was pulling the cock back with my thumb when the sucker slipped and fired. My hand was exposed right outside the the frizzen. I thought my hand was on fire and I mean it did evermore HURT! The palm, thumb and a couple of fingers were speckled. For many weeks afterward I needle picked them out - and there were a lot of speckles - one by one with needle and tweezers. Whenever THAT happens you are then awarded your PhD in flintlocks.
Call me Dr. Dutch from now on.
Mine happened at a club shoot in Va, waiting on the guy beside me I cock the gun (on the line and pointed down range) and held my right hand over the lock, left of the forearm patiently waiting and the hammer fell on its own, my hand between the thumb and index finger were ugly black for a while but no permanent tattoo.
Always, always, alway have the gun pointed up to and from the line, and down range when priming, waiting or working on a loaded gun.

Update on the Lock,

Sent it the lock back to it's maker (Chambers) to be fixed and 'overhauled'. Found and addressed a worn sear nose, refreshed the frizzen (refaced and retempered) replaced weak frizzen spring... The lock is like new! MAN the sparks it throws now! It's amazing how things wear over time and you really don't notice.

And shout out to Chambers Flintlocks for a SUPER fast turnaround on the lock, especially given the holiday season! They even gave me a little history on the lock (Where made and assembled). Awesome touch of class.

Feels good to be back in action!

Oh, and MOST of my tattoo are gone, a couple of deep dark spots where some bigger chunks of power made it pretty deep.

Merry Christmas All

Back