• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Original packaging for Colt percussion pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anybody here have any information on how percussion revolvers were individually packaged for shipment from the factory? I have read all kinds of articles on Colt (history, development, marketing, etc. ) and just realized I have never come across a single reference to this topic. It is widely known that Colt sent many specimens out in specially fitted wooden and upholstered cases, but how were all of the others shipped? I am not refering to military sales. If an individual ordered one or two guns from the factory, large wholesaler, or bought one from a local retailer, what kind of packaging would he be dealing with? This was before the advent of styrofoam, plastic, and possibly quality cardboard boxes. Who knows-maybe Colt had minimum order quantities so that they could just ship a half a dozen or more in a single wooden crate packed with straw or something. I am guessing that if any of this Colt marked packaging ever turned up for sale, the asking price would be 'way up there.--Smoothshooter

don't know the answer, but that's among the most fascinating questions i've ever heard!

good luck on your quest for the answer!

I have no Idea but am interested in finding out, if you want I have a patent from colt dealing with the packaging of paper cartrdiges for his revolvers, the patent shows a few different methods of packing cartridges in sets of 6 or 12 in small paper or poster board type boxes with a string to pull and tear the paper and also a round poster board type box which holds I believe 18 to 24 cartridges.

smoothshooter said:
Does anybody here have any information on how percussion revolvers were individually packaged for shipment from the factory?

Posted in a thread discussing "Original Colt Black Powder Finishes" on TheHighRoad, June 11, 2010:

unspellable said:
I will bow to others as to what Colt did for the finish and how they did it.

However, I was privileged to be present when a vintage Colt cap and ball still in the original factory packaging was opened for the first time since it left the factory over a hundred years prior. Inside the box the revolver was wrapped in what appeared to be oil cloth. When the oil cloth was unwrapped it tended to stick in places. The finish on the revolver was pristine in most places but some of the bluing was lost in patches, presumably where the oil cloth stuck. This was quite a few years ago but I remember the bluing in the good spots looking much like the original Walker above. As I recall the revolver was a civilian model in 36 caliber with a not overly long barrel.

Old Fuff said:
With age, Colt's charcoal blue did tend to fleck off except in protected places. What you described is what I'd expect. The grease in the paper or oil cloth had turned to varnish and then the covering was actually glued to the revolver's finish. They should have soaked the wrapped gun in a solvent before trying to unwrap it.

unspellable said:

Unwrapping

That would be complicated by the fact that the wood grips were also in the wrapping. It wold take some thought before you made your move.

Old Fuff said:
The usual procedure is to suspend the revolver muzzle down and then paint on solvent below the stocks. As the wrapping loosens it can be removed with great care, and as the cylinder forward is exposed you can see what you're working with. Unfortunately there is a good chance the varnish on the stocks is damaged, but that can be restored. You have a better chance with an oiled finish (on the wood).

Any information on what kind of "box" the oil cloth wrapped Colt mentioned above was shipped in? -Smoothshooter

smoothshooter said:
Any information on what kind of "box" the oil cloth wrapped Colt mentioned above was shipped in? -Smoothshooter

I reposted everything mentioned in the thread about the subject. But when I read it I imagined a conventional paperboard box such as what this open top Colt revolver was packaged in which was produced in 1876, the year of Little Bighorn:
http://www.antiquearmsinc.com/colt-open-top-revolver-in-box-7shooter-saa-1873-1876.htm

And here's photos of paperboard cartridge boxes from the 1870's:
http://www.antiqueammoandarms.com/graphics/44 Colt & Rem box.jpg
http://www.icollector.com/images/1206/17271/17271_0774_1_lg.jpg

I also supplied enough identifying information so that the original poster can be researched and contacted to be asked directly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do not know your level of expertise smoothshooter... Have you looked in the book '51 Colt Navies by Swayze? I have a copy but can not find it at the moment. Do not recall a mention in '51 Colt Navies of more than wood/lined presentation cases but it has been a while since reading it.

You might try the very small forum on the Colt Collector's Association (CCA) website. I am a member of the CCA but not a member of their forum. Looks like you can join the forum without being a CCA member.

Your profile does not show your location; but if you can attend the fall Colt Collectors Association Convention (gunshow) in Tulsa it would be worthwhile http://www.coltcollectors.com/content/convention_2010.shtml. Colt sets up at these annual shows usually including Beverly Haynes, Colt Historian, from Colt's Archive Services Department. Colt and the Archieve Services Department also set up at the Winter Las Vegas Antique Arms Show at the Riviera Hotel. Both events provide excellent opportunities to talk to very knowledgeable collectors and see amazing stuff.

arcticap's post a few minutes ago is interesting. There was a big controversy a few years ago about possible reproduction cardboard boxes for very early Colt Single Action Army (SAA) models. Do a search for 'colt pink boxes' for more information that might give you some other search leads.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Arcticap and Robert, and everyone else for the info. I live in Springfield, MO, and have been going to the big Tulsa gun shows for over 20 years. It's about a 3 hour drive from here and I think it may be the largest gun show in the world now with somewhere between 3,500 to 4,000 tables twice a year. At a show 2 years ago one of the security people from the local Sheriff's deptartment told me that at that at that time (which was at noon on the first of two days) they had sold approximately 100,000 tickets at the gate.I don't know if this was good information; allI can say is there were a heck of a lot of people there. Maybe I can make it to the show you mentioned.-Smoothshooter

Latest posts

Back