• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FOR SALE Original British Crown/VR Marked Brown Bess Musket 1837-1839

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgill

32 Cal.
Reaction score
RARE - British VR Marked Brown Bess Musket 1837-1839

This musket is essentially the 1793 India Pattern, updated in 1809 with a stronger, reinforced cock, deeper shaped frizzen pan, and a different pattern trigger; but built between 1837-1839 during the Queen Victoria era. This is an original flintlock "TOWER" and "(crown)/VR" marked musket. The gun remains in largely original condition. The lock functions flawlessly giving a strong spark. The upper jaw of the cock is broken. It will work but not for extended use. Otherwise it displays well. There are worn but discernible military proofs on the left side of the breech and a small arrow in circle stamp on the top just ahead of the tang. The right side of the butt stock has a crisp "(Broad Arrow)/BO" Board of Ordnance stamp. No sling swivels remain. There are two wooden plugs in the bottom of the butt stock, likely a repair of some kind. The comb of the butt stock has been reduced and reshaped and is evident in the reworked brass butt plate which has been cut down to match the new profile. Some wood filler is present at the butt plate as an attempt to make some repair. I am leaving it in place for the new owner to determine what to do next. Bore measures .75 caliber, with a 39 1/4" barrel. However I have located some that are noted as .77 caliber.

These muskets were only made for about a year or so as Queen Victoria assumed the throne in 1837 and the switchover to percussion began in 1839. In fact, most of the VR marked Brown Besses were destroyed in a fire at the Tower of London in 1841 but a few pockets of survivors escaped the blaze, most notably a large stock sent to Newfoundland. These are a scarce musket in any condition and this example is in good condition overall.

$1850.00

Last edited:
IMG_7528.jpg
IMG_7530.jpg
IMG_7531.jpg
IMG_7532.jpg
IMG_7533.jpg
IMG_7534.jpg
IMG_7537.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_7539.jpg
    IMG_7539.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_7540.jpg
    IMG_7540.jpg
    199.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_7541.jpg
    IMG_7541.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 73
RARE - British VR Marked Brown Bess Musket 1837-1839

This musket is essentially the 1793 India Pattern, updated in 1809 with a stronger, reinforced cock, deeper shaped frizzen pan, and a different pattern trigger; but built between 1837-1839 during the Queen Victoria era. This is an original flintlock "TOWER" and "(crown)/VR" marked musket. The gun remains in largely original condition. The lock functions flawlessly giving a strong spark. The upper jaw of the cock is broken. It will work but not for extended use. Otherwise it displays well. There are worn but discernible military proofs on the left side of the breech and a small arrow in circle stamp on the top just ahead of the tang. The right side of the butt stock has a crisp "(Broad Arrow)/BO" Board of Ordnance stamp. No sling swivels remain. There are two wooden plugs in the bottom of the butt stock, likely a repair of some kind. The comb of the butt stock has been reduced and reshaped and is evident in the reworked brass butt plate which has been cut down to match the new profile. Some wood filler is present at the butt plate as an attempt to make some repair. I am leaving it in place for the new owner to determine what to do next. Bore measures .75 caliber, with a 39 1/4" barrel. However I have located some that are noted as .77 caliber.

These muskets were only made for about a year or so as Queen Victoria assumed the throne in 1837 and the switchover to percussion began in 1839. In fact, most of the VR marked Brown Besses were destroyed in a fire at the Tower of London in 1841 but a few pockets of survivors escaped the blaze, most notably a large stock sent to Newfoundland. These are a scarce musket in any condition and this example is in good condition overall.

$1850.00
That is a very nice example of a late model Bess. Mine is very similar, also not a Revolutionary War model, with the same rounded lock, vs. banana shaped lock and stock profile. Also, these later Besses had simpler brass furniture. Mine dates from the Regent years after Geo.3rd. went insane, before Victoria, so it has the Crown, but no G3rd stamp beneath, as a Regent was not a king. I am attaching a picture to confirm what you already know, just a slightly different example. Yours is an amazing find and would have seen use in the Napoleonic Wars and the War of 1812, just like mine. I bought mine at auction in England. Thanks for sharing.

Attachments

• Brown Bess 2 .PNG
    Brown Bess 2 .PNG
    209.1 KB · Views: 41
  • Brown Bess 3 .JPG
    Brown Bess 3 .JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Back