• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordered my birthday present

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fort fireman

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Well, I ordered my birthday present yesterday. It is a Pietta 1858 new army Remington with the steel frame. I can't wait to get it. . I have an 1851 navy with the brass frame already so this one I'm going to get the conversion cylinder eventually. But until then I'm going to enjoy burning some powder. Now I just need to order some .454 balls. I thought I had a few left but couldn't find them and cabelas had them on back order. I'll give a range report once I put some lead down range.

You ordered your BD present and you didn't order one for me ? Man I lose out again
Happy Birthday to ya and enjoy that present when it arrives .

Remingtons Rule !

I know you will love yours, Happy birthday !!
:thumbsup:

nilo52

My wife just called and said my gun came today. However I'm stuck at the station until 6 pm tomorrow :cursing: I wanna play with my new toy.

I got one a month ago and near had a stroke when I saw what swaged balls cost. At the price they wanted, the cost of 1,000 balls equaled the gun cost. I'll be using home cast ammo.

Between the cost of powder, caps and balls, per shot, the price of the gun is a deal.

You'll be glad that the pricing has caused you to cast your own lead balls.

Swaged balls are notoriously Off weight and as many as twenty out of a hundred can become flyers.

If you cast your own about 5 out of a hundred will be light weight.

If you weigh out all your lead balls and eliminate the light weights you will have no flyers that were not caused by your own personal shakes.

Dutch S.

I've had mine at least fifteen years. Used it a lot when I first got into cowboy action shooting. Great pistol. I sometimes read that the Remington is prone to binding after a few shots, and that cap & ball revolvers in general are not reliable. Don't believe a word of it. My pistol, as Bill Cody said of his, "Has never failed me." No miss fires, no hang fires, no problem with binding. Lube it properly from the start, clean it throughly after each use and you should have nary a problem. Also, accuracy-wise, I find it stands shoulder to shoulder with modern cartridge revolvers. Enjoy your new possession.

BTW, casting your own round balls is an enjoyable part of the hobby, and keeps you active in it during those cold, rainy winter days when you can't make it to the field or range.

Sorry guys, it took me awhile to get back. I shot it about a week and a half ago for the first time. I really like it. I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it and really get a good set up. However for shooting it the first I was very pleased. It hit a tad high and left at 25 paces off hand one handed. It grouped well. After 2 cylinders I tried my hand at hitting a pop can. I hit it 4 out of 6 shots. I'm happy.

We do not discuss the cartridge conversions or loading/shooting them in the muzzle loading sections of the forum.

If further discussion of these things is wanted, please post it in the Non-muzzleloading area.

photo-24.jpg

Heres a pic of my first outting with my new Remington new army. Like I said, alittle high and left but that is one handed ,off handed and not much tweaking with the charge. So the short of it , I'm pretty happy .

Latest posts

Back