• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ordered a rifle today.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimG

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After months of stewing over a Pedersoli vs building my own vs having a rifle built, I called a builder today and had a wonderfull conversation with him and I will be sending him a check tomorrow for him to build me a rifle exactly like I want it and within my budget. It will be a full stock Mike Lange trade rifle with steel furniture. 50 cal Colerain barrel, Siler lock, Davis set trigger. Heck I ain't been this happy in years!

My Virginia rifle has a 50 cal. "B" weight Colerain swamped barrel, Siler lock, Davis trigger. This is a great combination. I'm using a .495 ball and Walley world drill material, that measures about .022. With 70 grains of Goex 3f it out-shoots, all my other rifles.

I'm not familiar with Mike Lange trade rifle, I guess I need to look it up. I believe you made the right choice. Best of luck.

And now the waiting begins! :grin: The day the big brown truck pulls up with that to deliver you'll feel like you're ready to burst! I'm sure it'll be worth every minute of the wait. As long as you chose a good builder, you can't go wrong with a fine custom rifle.

Mike is a very good builder. Your rifle aint his first rodeo. Congrats by the way. :thumbsup:

Looked him up,FINE lookin weapons!!If ir was me i would have him sign it,something i have always done.I'll have to save up and get one just to have one and i don't know that much about it.
What is the colerain barrel??

And i should say congratulations,has to be somethin to get a made fer yore ownself rifle :)

I have one of his rifles that I got yrs. ago thru a trade. it's a fine rifle, shoots good and looks good. He did stamp the lock plate with his name...

Soon as I get the funds I will be ordering one for myself. I have followed this gentleman for a bit and his guns are perfection. :thumbsup:

I looked at his site and selections and they are priced very reasonably.
Unfortunately, he doesn't list what I would like to have if custom built.

Colerain is a barrel brand. supposed to be a nicely made barrel with round bottom rifling. Don't know as I've never owned one before, this will be my first. 1/56" twist, 16 thousandths deep grooves, 36" length, 15/16" across the flats, 50 cal.

edit- I should add that the Siler lock is a percussion , not a flint.

You will love your rifle. I have one of Mike's "Rugrat" rifles and it is great. He does sign his name on his guns. Mike basically fills a long ignored niche in gun building; custom fitted working guns that are really fine looking and at reasonable cost that are many levels above anything in the production category. Mike finally makes it possible for us working stiffs to afford a fine, fitted gun that's better than factory and cheaper than custom.

Mike Lange build me a 50. cal Early Lancaster, Rice swamped barrel, Chambers Golden Age lock,Davis set triggers ,very nice gun ,,top line work,sliding patch box,the rifle shoots better than i can hold it,If i ever need another rifle i will have him to build it,,

"Good" on ya, mon ami... hope the rifle is everything you wished it to be.

Make good smoke... :v

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Congrats on your new order. Look forward to seeing some pics when it is done.

I just recieved my new rifle. All I can say is be darn carefull who you choose as a builder for your new muzzleloader. I payed hard earned money for what amounts to a pile of poorly assembled parts. I am livid. I talked to a local builder yesterday who offered to restock/rebuild my rifle. Sadly this will end up costing me more than if I had just had him build me the darn thing in the first place. There are builders out there who are scam artists/cons. Avoid them at all costs!

Sadly, I have a rather nuts local woodworker-turned-custom gunsmith who knows half as much as he thinks.

Besides the insanity of calling my home at 8 AM in the morning and whining if he doesn't get a call back immediately, really, and being insulting about arms and locks he knows little about (I hade to stop him from repetedly dry-firing a new flintlock from L&R with nothing in the jaw or against the frizzen and show him how to take the sear out), he also explained to me how only double-boiled linseed oil should be used on guns and they do it in the first place to get all the water out so it dries faster. This just before he dropped the trigger assembly on my new maple stock and put a permanent dent in it and after he was yelling that anyone who refers to something as a smoothrifle is an idiot because they are not rifles (he knows what rifling is)!

Latest posts

Back