• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Opinions wanted on pre hunt cleaning.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marinekayak

40 Cal
Reaction score
So I posted about my successful dropping of a nice six pointer the other day, but I wanted opinions on my pre hunt cleaning.
Before I hunted I took my Pedersoli Frontier .54 to a local range to verify my zero. I had traveled from Virginia to CT and you never know I may have bumped the sights. I put in a fresh flint and loaded my hunting load .530 round ball with .010 patch and 80gr of 2ffg and TOW lube. This load groups well and is very easy to load. Much easier than .535 balls and a thicker patch. Hunting accuracy not match accuracy. I put a 50 foot slow fire pistol target up at 50 yards and fired 3 shots all in the black.
now I'm cleaning. Warm soapy water, patches on the rod and pump until running clear. The I run some hoppes BP solvents until the patches are clean then some dry patches. I put some rubbing alcohol down the bore to make sure all the water was out.
I took out the vent liner and cleaned it well. I don't usually but I wanted to minimize any chance of failure. Then pipe cleaners to clean and dry the patent breach. I put it all back together then a light patch of modern oil. I use FP-10. Then a last dry patch. Stored it barrel down overnight. In the am one last dry patch to get any oil out and I loaded for hunting. I left the same flint on the rifle it only had three shots on it and was still sharp.
The shot I fired was instantaneous ignition. I think I did my pre hunt rifle
Prep right. I guess I'm asking if I missed anything? It worked but I still learning. When I went from half to full cock on that deer I said quite a few please go bang prayers!

You have a good procedure. Mine is a little different. After I'm sure the bore, breech, etc. is clean I give a good squirt and swab with carburetor cleaner. Swab again and let dry. Then I load my charge and prb. My next step is sure to be controversial to some. I swab the bore with a WD-40 wet patch. As the rifle may be several days in varying environmental conditions I figure this will give some protection to the bore. Works for me. But, do yer own thang.

Back