• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Open iron sights or peep.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Peep for my best accuracy. A modified Tom A Hawk (forum member) peep on my Pedersoli Hawken brings home the goods. I do like the challenge of open irons though; in competition our Aussie regulations dictates opens only.

Pete

View attachment 238191
Thanks Pete. Nice photo. Flip it down and use the barrel sight for short range or flip it up for long shots. Turn the hinge screw for windage adjustment.

All I need is a simple A or B
Will a person shoot better with A open iron sights or B peep sight. Forget all the variables.
It's the variables that prevent us from coming up with a simple open or peep sight is the best answer. Now that we are nearing 6 pages of responses, it's obvious that the variables are the driving factors that dictate the ultimate choice.

I exclusively use a peep on all my muzzleloaders. I also use globe front sights.
In very low light in timber. Most of my shots have been very close. In those cases. I don't worry about seeing the front sight. My eye centers the rear sight. The globe is centered in the peep. I focus my eye on the spot I want to hit and let my eye center that spot in the globe. The last deer I shot this way. I shot in the neck at about 40 yards.
Where my peep sights really shine is out in the open terrain of the desert.
Use a range finder, set the sight for the distance.
The open sight shooter is aiming under or over, which is a horrible way to shoot game.
My son shot this larger buck just before dark. He settled his fine pin in the center of the Bucks white patch in its neck. He shot the buck at 175 yards. It was dark in no time.
Knowing your rifle. Knowing your sights, and practicing in the areas you hunt help make the peep sight really the best option.
Nice bucks there, Ron. Also, I couldn't agree with you more about a peep sight being superior. Even when I had good vision (tested out to 20/15 for years) I still preferred a peep. They simply work great as a hunting peep IF one uses the proper combination with the front sight.

I have never used a front globe but I am considering one.

The military had good reason to outfit rifles with peeps for so many years.

Great sight adjuster, do you have a side view picture?
1690051529608.jpeg
1690051551096.jpeg

Great sight adjuster, do you have a side view picture?
Tom A Hawk makes a wonderful simple sight, BS. As I have said before, I have modified his a little to suit my aesthetics; I take nothing away from the fine work Tom A Hawk has done in this little masterpiece - simplest is best, and excellent it is! If you compare my finished sight to TAH's post, all I have done is three things: aged his brass, so that it matches the finish on my Pedersoli Hawken (vinegar and cold blue solution), fitted an alternative peep with a smaller aperture (keeping TAH's locking screw), and once zero was accomplished with my all-time favourite load, the one that works best for this rifle on targets and game, I trimmed the excess off the height of the staff after applying loctite to the locking screw. Unobtrusive, you agree?

Pete

Side View.jpg

Rear View.jpg

Last edited:
I have never used a peep sight on a ML. The principles are the same either way. Make a habit of getting your sight alignment and then a good sight picture. Squeeze the trigger so slow that you can feel the pores in the metal. breath like you normally do. I prefer black sights. Brass glows in the sun light.

All I need is a simple A or B
Will a person shoot better with A open iron sights or B peep sight. Forget all the variables.
As stated, no simple answer. It depends on conditions at the range at the time. Generally in good light, I prefer a peep. If lighting is variable or black powder smoke hangs on the range making seeing the target a bit difficult, post and notch.

So no, there is NO short answer here.

I never could seem to get good with a peep sight. I guess I'm just too used to the open notch. I have been told by the old timers that a peep sight is for target shooting and it will obscure your view of the game if you're hunting. How do you guys hunt with these sites? Do you just keep both eyes open?

I never could seem to get good with a peep sight. I guess I'm just too used to the open notch. I have been told by the old timers that a peep sight is for target shooting and it will obscure your view of the game if you're hunting. How do you guys hunt with these sites? Do you just keep both eyes open?
There is no obscuring of the game. My preferred setup ( on a Sharps ) is a tiny post front and vernier tang. The peep allows very crisp target and sight definition. I can clearly focus on a three inch bull at 100 yards.

I have never used a peep sight on a ML. The principles are the same either way. Make a habit of getting your sight alignment and then a good sight picture. Squeeze the trigger so slow that you can feel the pores in the metal. breath like you normally do. I prefer black sights. Brass glows in the sun light.
Huh, in two decades of use in all light conditions ,summer, winter, spring and fall I"ve never once noticed any "Glowing" of the front sight but it sure does show up well against any target yet experienced. The angle is what both makes it show up and deflects/defuses any tendency to fuzz up or glow as was termed in bright sun light or snow conditions.

Last edited:
Siringo- please, where could I acquire a peep such as yours? I’ve not found anything so straightforward and appropriate in my search.
Thanks!
Muzzleloaders builders supply. It is called the Johnson Peep Sight. Available only in cast steel.

Back