• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oops

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abarnes

40 Cal
Reaction score
I had an unfortunate mishap when proofing my flintlock 4-bore, apparently Siberian elm is not the best stock choice for a big bore
IMG_20221203_134723.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20221128_214453.jpg
    IMG_20221128_214453.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
2000 gr slug with 570gr. FFFGthe barrel held up perfect it just did a number on my stock
You had to be trying to blow that thing up.

I can't think of a single proofing scenario where that combination of powder and ball would be used to proof a gun barrel. Lots of lead and a little powder or lots of powder and a little lead.

And stocks weren't proofed. Barrels, all by their lonesome, were stress tested.

All that aside, I would Titebond III the stock. It will be stronger than when you started.

4 1/2 ounces of lead with 570 grains of powder.

I think you're lucky it broke. Might give you some time to think this over. You cannot be real in wanting to shoulder this cannon?
That's 8.14 45-70 powder loads and 4.9 projectiles.

I can see that barrel on a carriage.

Not a stock cut to normal dimensions.

lucky that is a clean break. should make repairing it easier. I would use either an epoxy or wood glue. both will be stronger than the wood is properly done.

I can only think of two barrel makers that make 4 bore barrels. Both make very high quality barrels and I would not worry about any barrel problems from them. 4 bore is a low pressure gun. Instead of a proof load the way to go is to start off with light loads and measure the barrel at the breech with a micrometer after each shot. Look for any changes as the load increases.

2000 grain slug with 570 grains of 3F is not a realistic load. I shoot mine with a round ball and 450 grains of 1F or 400 grains of 2F. Rich44 has a point. Are you ready for a gun like this? The loads I am using have about 340 ft/lbs of recoil energy. That is more than triple what you get from a 505 Gibbs. If you don't have a lot of experience shooting the larger dangerous game type of rifles, a 4 bore will injure you. My brother shot my 4 bore with a 300 grain powder charge. That is a light load. It took a year for his shoulder to heal.

If you would have fired that gun from the shoulder even with a normal load it would not have gone well. A 4 bore needs to be designed entirely around managing the recoil. The stock design you have is going to increase the felt recoil. And that recoil pad is a really bad idea! Even the best recoil pad is not going to be of any help on a 4 bore. You need a wide metal butt plate with rounded edges. Brown Bess butt plate works well.

I would start over with carving a new stock. Go with European walnut or maple. You were 70 feet back and pulled trigger with a string. So I would assume that the gun was secured somehow. That is why it broke. If that is the case then even a standard load would have broken it no matter what kind of wood it was. 4 bore will shatter the stock every time if it is not allowed to move.

I can only think of two barrel makers that make 4 bore barrels. Both make very high quality barrels and I would not worry about any barrel problems from them. 4 bore is a low pressure gun. Instead of a proof load the way to go is to start off with light loads and measure the barrel at the breech with a micrometer after each shot. Look for any changes as the load increases.

2000 grain slug with 570 grains of 3F is not a realistic load. I shoot mine with a round ball and 450 grains of 1F or 400 grains of 2F. Rich44 has a point. Are you ready for a gun like this? The loads I am using have about 340 ft/lbs of recoil energy. That is more than triple what you get from a 505 Gibbs. If you don't have a lot of experience shooting the larger dangerous game type of rifles, a 4 bore will injure you. My brother shot my 4 bore with a 300 grain powder charge. That is a light load. It took a year for his shoulder to heal.

If you would have fired that gun from the shoulder even with a normal load it would not have gone well. A 4 bore needs to be designed entirely around managing the recoil. The stock design you have is going to increase the felt recoil. And that recoil pad is a really bad idea! Even the best recoil pad is not going to be of any help on a 4 bore. You need a wide metal butt plate with rounded edges. Brown Bess butt plate works well.

I would start over with carving a new stock. Go with European walnut or maple. You were 70 feet back and pulled trigger with a string. So I would assume that the gun was secured somehow. That is why it broke. If that is the case then even a standard load would have broken it no matter what kind of wood it was. 4 bore will shatter the stock every time if it is not allowed to move.
Ya I made my own barrel out of 4130 chromoly and it held up great I had it tied between four fence posts so the bend of the posts would absorb the recoil I just think my stock was not strong enough wood. Honestly the stock was not my worry point I am just glad I wasn't holding it. I planned on using a 1300 gr projectile and starting out with 250 gr. FFG and go up from there. We will have to see where stock number two gets us.

Back