• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One knife down

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcmcclure

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been taking things slow with the blades that I forged earlier last month. Just tonight I have gotten one of the them completed and overall its not too bad. This knife was the first project where a poured bolster was successful for me. Opinions, thoughts and constructive criticism is very welcomed and sought.

Project began with the rough forged blade on the right

Nice job, I like the poured bolster. What type of steel did you use, length of blade? Thanks for sharing!

It was forged from an old Nicholson file. Blade length is 5 1/4 inches with overall at 9 1/2 inches.

Looks good. Stay at it and each new one will be better. My only critique is a minor point. The bolster could be cleaned up and file shaped to give more definitive shoulder flats sloping to the blade. The blade design is very good and should prove to be a very good all around working knife. Especially in skinning and parting joints. Very similar to the Green River ripper design which many deer processors prefer.

I learned a good lesson on this one wick and the point you made was hampered by my failure to further take down the antler to a thinner diameter for the pewter pouring....had I taken the bolster any further I would have been back to antler. Lesson learned for sure.

Thanks for the input...it is always welcomed. I am always seeking more knowledge from the guys who are seasoned knife makers.

I wish there was someone in my area who would be willing to spend a little time with someone who is wanting to learn from more than just they see on youtube or read...I like hands-on instruction when it comes to things like this.

Beware of youtube instructions. Most run from dismal to even dangerous. You should be able to find good videos available by respected makers, or even local associations of knife makers that may be able to help, or tell you someone who can. Actually, Hershel House can't be too far away. He is in or near Paris/Lexington area as best I recall. He was giving lessons. For a fee I imagine, but probably worth it.

There have been a few that have been helpful, but yes most are nothing but a waste of time. I am planning to go to one of the workshops that he puts on...its very limited space and its a chunk of change for the income of a small county sheriff deputy and a fulltime college student. Like you said it is certainly money well spent.

Back