• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One antelope... 2 hunts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtfishn

36 Cl.
Reaction score
A few years ago I decided to extend hunting season by trying to use my .45 cal. GPlains rifle for antelope. I picked a spot where we had seen antelope bed mid-day on previous hunts and set up there before shooting light. Now the reason antelope liked this spot is that it is table flat and nothing can sneak up on'em. I soon spotted a herd a mile or so off. Then spotted some orange (another hunter) in the sage nearby don't believe he actually shot, but managed to spook the antelope in my direction. About 45 minutes later they were feeding right to me. I had laid flat on the ground with rifle in hand trained in their direction. There were 2 bucks and 12-13 does/fawns. The nicest buck was laggin' behind when the first does fed past me at....6yds! They were unaware of me until they walked far enough past to get my scent. The buck was now about 65 yds so I tried to get on him, cock the rifle, set the trigger all in one motion knowing the does would spot me immediately. Everybody stopped and was staring at me as I squeezed off a shot at the chest of the buck. At the shot they all ran off with the buck running by himself to my right. The ball had passed through the "arm pit" area...(actually broke 5 ribs) without entering the body cavity and exited behind the off-side front leg. He was off to the races. I marked on the horizon where he had crossed 1/4 mile away...jumped him at 100yds without getting a shot. He ran another 1/4 mile and bedded out of sight. This time I spotted his horns in the grass from about 200yds and crawled to just under 90yds before he stood up. I was ready on x-stix and hit him in the base of the neck angled back as he stood. Down for good! Beautiful buck antelope, but learned the importance of getting a good lung shot on the first shot....Had mine been one ball width to the right it would have entered the lung area and killed him quickly.

Back