• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Rail Spikes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski76

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Just curious if old rail spikes would be good to use in blacksmithing. I'm interested in trying my hand in the craft and have a few spikes laying around. :hmm:

I'm not sure what the composition of the steel is in a RR Spike but I know it some tough stuff to work, there is no question it would make a good knife. I have seen some groups have competitions to see who can be the most creative using nothing but spikes.
Jeff

Railroad spikes don't have enough carbon to make good knives but I've literally seen hundreds of things that people make railroad spikes out of. My favorite item is a spear. The head is flattened out to be the pipe like structure that affixes to the wood and the rest becomes the pike. I saw a fellow selling them for $100 a piece. Another favorite item I saw was guy rounded off the spike part to look like a snake and turned it into a king cobra paper weight.

Regards
Loyd Shindelbower
Loveland Colorado

SKI76,
They make nice tomahawks. Check out this Post
Post#293269 - RR spike Hawk
(It's about 11 pages back in this forum)
Bob

I make steak flippers from them.

steakturner.jpg

steakturnerhead.jpg

They take forever to heat up and they are a pain to draw out. People make them work, but there is a lot of better material out there to work for most applications.

CS

I have heard of a myth or story maybe someone could could debunc about rail road spikes. I was told that there were several types of spikes used in laying rails. Some of those spikes have the letters H C on the head of the spike. And these letters stand for high carbon. What circumstance would call for the rail road to use HC spikes, I don't know.

Here is a picture of one that I have.

IMG_0605.jpg

When taking courses in metalurgy I was told that an alloy must have more than .5 of a percent to qualify as being high carbon. So, if the high carbon spike does exist, it would have enough carbon to make a blade.

I have examined knives made from spikes that the maker said were good blades. I have never used one nor have I ever talked to someone who owns one or ever used one.

I would not testify in court that the HC spike evens exists.

Good high carbon steel can be had readily and cheaply that requires little forging to make excellent blades and knives. It would take more effort to reduce a spike to blade shape than existing flat HC bar stock.

Not trying to continuate a rumor or myth here. I fully admit that I dont know for sure.

Joe

I found a link to site discussing railroad spikes which talks about the high carbon steel:

RR Spikes

I also found some information on a knife makers forum pertaining to railroad spikes:

"...[The A.R.E.A. manual]...identifies two versions of spikes, one soft-steel and one high-carbon. Soft-Steel spikes contain anywhere from a minimum of 0.06 to 0.20 percent carbon (reference sec. 2.1.3). The head of Soft-Steel spikes are marked with a letter or brand indicating the manufacturer (reference sec. 2.1.11). High-Carbon spikes contain anywhere from a minimum of 0.20 to 0.30 percent carbon (reference sec. 2.2.3) The head of High-Carbon spikes are marked with a letter or brand indicating the manufacturer and also the letters “HC” (reference sec. 2.2.11). If copper is added to either version, the head will be marked with the letters “CU” (reference sec. 2.1.11 & 2.2.11)..."

A.R.E.A. is the American Railway Engineering and Maintenance-of-Way Association, and they set the standards for, among other things, railroad spikes. I would think that this information on the carbon content is most likely correct.
Scott

You may also find this link interesting. Look down at the very end at the Hawk with the spike/axe head. I think that this is one of the nicest that I've seen so far.[url] http://www.anvilfire.com/iForge/tutor/spikeaxe/top_index.htm[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess it just depends on what ya consider GOOD steel for a knife. To me all RR spikes are manure steel.. Never-the-less, the high carbon steel (which are Barely to the grade) are called "Prime Grade" spikes & the other clunker that are generally made from sardine cans & washing machine scrap are called "Industrial Grade",

Basically, both spikes are made from from a 48' long 5/8" or 9/16" square rod of steel, taken thru a electric induction coil, heated read hot, a clamp grabs the rod & a hydraulic hammer with a die hits the top of the rod & that forms the head & then it is is pinched off & that makes the point. It goes down a conveyer belt & it water quenched & then onto another conveyer belt & into a bucket that is on a vibrating table, and every so many load (by weight) & there is a slight break in the line of production to start filling another bucket (actually called Kegs). The dia. of the spike is dependent on the size of the rod used & what the machine will accomodate. Some machines will make several sizes, some will make only 1 size. Spikes are very expensive to make & the large RR's will take them & test them to check grade & quality & will not buy them if they fail the tests & inspections. You can have 300,000 kegs of Prime Spikes made & if they fail the tests you will loose Thousands of $ as now because they may be just barely below grade, they now sell for 35% less as Industrial Grade & you just lost you a$$........ :shake:

But for making knives from them, IMHO, I would not waste my time. Why do all of that work & trouble on lousy steel when for under $10 you have have a Great piece of steel & have something worth of you work & talent ....... :thumbsup:

As an old railroader, and a blacksmith, I have soem experience with track spikes. High carbon steel spikes are marked with HC on the head. That said, they are a pain to work with due to their thickness. I've seen some very nice hawks and knives made from them, and I've made a couple of knives that turned out okay. But, they aren't period appropriate for any reenactment that I know of. Correct me if I'm wrong, but track-spike hawks are just a contemporary curiosity.
Wanders :hmm:

Back