• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Pepper Box

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi,
I have come across an old pepper box pistol.
Generally it is in good shape. BUT missing four percussion nipples, one is pounded smooth to the barrel, and one nipple is in good condition, however, I can't remove it.
The shoulders on the nipple are square four sided, about 0.135" square to square or
3.47mm
My old nipple wrench is way to large to grab the shoulder.
I could drill it out, but I would like to remove it so that I can measure the thread pitch.
I tried using a small socket and no luck grabbing the shoulder.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Fred

The pistol appears to be of Belgian manufacture. With what appears to be German silver frame, not steel or iron ( it is non magnetic except for the thin facing shield at the back of the pistol.

Hi,
I have come across an old pepper box pistol.
Generally it is in good shape. BUT missing four percussion nipples, one is pounded smooth to the barrel, and one nipple is in good condition, however, I can't remove it.
The shoulders on the nipple are square four sided, about 0.135" square to square or
3.47mm
My old nipple wrench is way to large to grab the shoulder.
I could drill it out, but I would like to remove it so that I can measure the thread pitch.
I tried using a small socket and no luck grabbing the shoulder.
Any help will be much appreciated.
Fred

The pistol appears to be of Belgian manufacture. With what appears to be German silver frame, not steel or iron ( it is non magnetic except for the thin facing shield at the back of the pistol.
I suggest you go to a tool shop F.G. & get a stud remover to fit. These are tapered left hand thread tools that bite into the metal & they are used for extracting studs or bolts that have sheared off. All you would need to do is drill a center hole in the nipple (unless the nipple hole is already large enough to take an extractor) for the extractor.
Stud-extractors.jpg

Keith.

Before trying the "easy-out" route described by LeLoop be sure to soak the breech end of the barrel cluster in a good penetrating oil. I prefer "Kroil" for this, but a local mechanic can point you to what is easily available in your area. If severely rusted or battered, I would heat the area around the nipple with a propane torch until the oil smoked and let it cool a couple of times. The heat/cool cycle combined with applications of penetrating oil, then the easy-out extractor has always worked for me when removing nipples from antique firearms.

Latest posts

Back