• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

"Old Man" Jack Hinson

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GBG

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I did a forum search and couldn't find anything on the following story of Tennessean "Old Man" Jack Hinson, a Civil War pacifist, anti-secessionist and personal friend of General U.S. Grant. When Union soldiers decapitated Hinson's two sons, his shattered neutrality and quest for vengeance earned him the title of "the most deadly one-man civilian killing force in Tennessee Civil War history." http://www.murfreesboropost.com/whittle-civil-war-sniper-rifle-dealt-death-to-yankees-cms-26639

I have ordered the book "Jack Hinson's One-Man War, A Civil War Sniper" by ret Col. Tom McKenny. http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Hinsons-One-Man-Civil-Sniper/dp/1589806409

Just curious if any forum members are familiar with Jack Hinson or have additional knowledge and sources of information on this obscure, dichotomous and fascinating individual?

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading your post I went to Amazon and checked out the book. It looks like a great read. Be ordering one today and looking forward to reading it. Thanks for the posting Art

Col. McKenny spent 15 years researching Hinson to produce the 400 page biography of a sniper who McKenny describes as "Almost lost to history".

"By the end of the Civil War, the Union had committed infantry and cavalry from nine regiments and a specially equipped amphibious task force of marines to capture Hinson, who was by that time nearly sixty years old. They never caught him. Since then, the story of Jack Hinson has evaded astute historians, and until now, he has remained invisible in the history of sniper warfare."

When I found the following account in the Marine Corp Assoc. and Foundation's book review, I had to have it.
https://www.mca-marines.org/leatherneck/bookreview/jack-hinson-s-one-man-war-civil-war-sniper
"In one truly remarkable moment in naval military history, the captain of a transport loaded with armed soldiers hove to and attempted to surrender. Thinking he’d been accosted by a swarm of Rebels, the captain beached his boat and rapidly struck his colors. Alone, with no infantry support, Hinson reluctantly passed on the offer and quietly faded into the countryside.

The author writes, “It was the only time in recorded history that a fully armed naval vessel with embarked combat troops ever surrendered to one man, and it was probably the shortest period of military confinement after being captured in combat.”

Because of my own local history... http://www.encyclopediaofalabama.org/article/h-1850
...I feel particularly drawn to Hinson and his story. Can't wait for my hardback to arrive.

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed the book very much! We were fortunate to meet Col. McKenney when we attended the book signing that was held at Ft. Donelson when it first came out. If I'm remembering correctly, I think that the rifle that had belonged to Mr. Hinson was also there on display that day. Before this book came out, I hadn't heard much of the story even though I have lived in the area close to where all of it took place pretty well my whole life.

Daveco.

I purchased and read the book a few months ago. I think due to lack of a lot information on Hinson, the first part of the book was very heavy on history of the area and of the war movement in that area. While it does help set the stage, IMO it got a little boring, then it picked up.

Over all I did like the book and would recommend it.

Fleener

Appreciate the extra info guys.

Finally got my copy today. Four hundred pages, probably 90+ percent text with only a few photos, maps and illustrations, but 26 pages of notes and bibliography. Inside cover calls Col. McKenney a student of military history. My first impression of the book is that he is a serious student.

Thanks to the Col. for saving this part of Civil War history.

Good book, read it last summer. A little dry in the beginning when explaining the military history but when he got into the trials and travails of the Hinson family it got a lot more interesting. Hinson was an interesting character, a real life John Wayne or Clint Eastwood. Tender and compassionate to his family and slaves but cold and calculated toward the Bluebellies.

Don

A fascinating figure in Civil War history.

I googled "Jack Hinson - sniper" and found a bunch of photos of the rifle, and one of "Captain Jack Hinson" himself.

His rifle was marked for 30-some kills, but he apparently stopped keeping tally, and the final score was closer to 100.

"Still waters run deep."

The author did a great job of telling the story.

I felt like cheering for the South, and my folks mostly fought for the North.

Fleener

While on vacation last week in South Carolina, had to get away from the snow and cold of PA, I had the opportunity to find and read this book. Yes the beginning was a tad slow but I did manage thru it and totally enjoyed it once the action began! Real shame what the south suffered during and after the war between the states! Often wonder what would have happened had Lincoln not been assassinated. Any way, glad this story was written and just maybe old Clint himself could make this his last movie...sort of a different version of "Josey Wales"! One thing did bother me about the book, it was mentioned that the set trigger was in the front and the rear trigger used to trip the sear. Every muzzleloader I have ever used was just the opposite and was wondering if this was not researched clearly?

Hello Kodiak13-
I don't know for sure, but would like to point out that there are pictures of the rifle in the book, and the rifle itself has been present at some of the book signings.... while the general public could get close to- but not handle the weapon, it would be easy to believe that the current owner (Judge Ben Hall McFarlin of Nashville) might let a person like Col McKenney have a little more detailed inspection... :idunno: The author seemed to be pretty straight on the details in the book.

Back