• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Ironsights: Average % of 4F in can of Goex 3F

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
I think you recently did some test screening / analyzing the percentages of 4F fines found in a typical can of Goex 3F.....and if I recall correctly, you mentioned that there was a surprisingly high percentage of 4F fines in a can of 3F...like 2/3rds.

If that's the case, a typical 100grn charge of Goex 3F is actually 66.6 grns 4F.....(and only 33.3 grns 3F).

Hoping you'll see this and verify...thanks

Huntin Dawg said:
Here's a link to that thread.

The Great Powder Test
HD
Excellent, thank you...this is what I was remembering:

Goex (Red can) yielded 4.9 oz 3F and 10.7 oz 4F/Fines !!! (4.9+10.7+1 = 16.6oz)

Per his screening test results, the average can of Goex 3F actually consists of about 67% 4F...only a minority amount of actual 3F...that would be 67grns of 4F in a 100grn charge of Goex "3F".

Roundball , that should take care of the "can you shoot 4f or not" , you are when your shooting 3f it seems. Fred :hatsoff:

Interesting....how Swiss which is supposed to be hotter than Goex actually has a higher content of 3F. Guess it ain't because of the 4F content.

Swiss uses a different kind of tree for charcoal, that Goex wrote a long thing about it last year, they did what Curtis and Harvey did with #6 maybe the best powder ever made back in the 1800s to ?, they ran out of trees, all the great shots from back then used it, I didnt think it would make that much difference till a few yrs ago I saw a story about a guy useing it and 2 2003 powders and it whipped them both. :confused: :shake: (1 wass Goex) Fred :hatsoff:

Time to put this thread to bed.

The Cal-Graf screen is relative to nothing. No idea what the screen size is or why they selected that particular screen size.

For GOEX, KIK and the defunct Elephant.
2Fg is screened: pass through 16 mesh, stop on 30 mesh.
3Fg is screened: pass through 20 mesh, stop on 50 mesh.

Essentially, When the powder is screened, anything passing through the 50 mesh bottom 3F screen is 4Fg. Were it not for flintlock pan powder almost all of this minus 50 mesh "process tailings" would have to be reworked back into the powder stream at the powder press.

Lets look at 3F using industry standard lab screens.

KIK 3Fg, Lot 00.04 (May 2000 shipment)
Trace on the 20 mesh.
14.4% retained on the 30 mesh screen.
42.6% retained on the 40 mesh screen.
43.0% thru the 40 mesh screen.
(Only a trace through a 50 mesh)

GOEX 3Fg, Date Code 99JY20C
Trace on the 20 mesh.
70.8% retained on the 30 mesh screen.
26.2% retained on the 40 mesh screen.
3.0% thru the 40 mesh.
(Only a trace through a 50 mesh.)

Elephant 3Fg, Date Code 22/00
Trace on the 20 mesh.
58.7% retained on the 30 mesh screen.
35.1% retained on the 40 mesh screen.
6.2% thru the 40 mesh.
(Only a trace through a 50 mesh.)

What is sold as 4Fg is usually process tailings. That is any corning mill product passing through the smallest screen in the 3Fg range, i.e., 50 mesh. What cannot be packaged as 4Fg would normally be reworked into the product stream.

Great, someone that knows, please tell me where would I get the screen they use? Much thanks Fred :hatsoff:

I just reread the whole test, I should of caught on from back when I wa shootin Sharps and Rem rolling-blocks. I'll ck in with some of the sin shot guys. Thanks. Fred :hatsoff:

Back