• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old? Hodgdon black powder

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joel/Calgary

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I have just acquired several unopened cans of Hodgdon BP, and cannot find any indication of manufacturer or date/lot#/etc. I'm hoping to get some more information on who actually manufactured it & when, quality, etc. They are in steel cans with white plastic rip-strip-sealed lids centered on the top. The sides are painted red and there is a red & white (red background) paper label on one side with:

(Hodgdon logo)
HODGDON
BLACK
POWDER
(large white triangle with granulation printed in red)
(small print)DANGER - EXTREMELY FLAMABLE
SEE PRECAUTIONS ON BACK OF CAN

Except that there is nothing but the red paint on the back of the can. The top & bottom are unpainted plated steel (with light rust).

The Hodgdon logo has the white circle (bomb) background with the fuze burning at the 1:30 position, the outline H surmounted with a red triangle surmounted with a hooded bead front sight.

This being Canada, I would have expected some French bilingual labeling but there is none.

Help???

Joel

Interesting...a metal can with a paper label but a plastic cap...a couple photos would sure be nice.

Is there any fine print anywhere with the name DuPont on there...the white triangle rings a bell about a few old DuPont cans I have

Yes, pics would be nice. What granulation is it? Hodgdon never made or sold real BP. They only are responsible for the substitutes.

You might have an old can that someone has put BP into, but Hodgdon never manufactured Black Powder itself. It did sell Pyrodex, which is gray-black in color to some folks. I have early pyrodex that was yellow in color.

I can't comment on whatever labels appear on the can without seeing pictures. It could be anything, from any where.

Unless you are absolutely sure of what powder you have, take extreme precautions before using it in any gun you want to continue to own. :shocked2: :idunno: :hmm: :surrender:

roundball said:
flintlock62 said:
They only are responsible for the substitutes.

Hodgdon owns Goex.

I meant BP sold under the Hodgdon name. At least I have never seen or heard of Hogdon labeled black powder. Goex, yes, Hodgdon, no.

Funny thing the “Hodgdon” store, which is in Overland Park Kansas, about 25 miles from me, does not carry GOEX black powder. Hodgdon used to own the store and the Bullethole, which is an indoor range, and which I am a charter member, was sold in the 80’s. But it is still under Hodgdon influence since the corporate offices are still there.
Another funny thing, the last time I was there. They didn’t even have a full line of Pyrodex on hand!
They also have a building at the old Forbes Field, old military base, in Topeka Kansas.
This is about 75 miles west of me. And lastly they have a manufacturing plant in a small town, Herington, Kansas, which is about 150 miles southwest of me.
Do you see the possibilities I saw when I started flintlocks. I thought, in my mind, I would have all the real black powder I could shoot and then some.
Oh, BTW, the Bullethole is very expensive!

I have 1 can of FFFG Hodgdon Black Powder packaged as described above,the bottom line on the back label of the can says made in Scotland, I will try and post some pictures of the can. :thumbsup: By the way , it shoots very well.

Joel/Calgary said:
I have just acquired several unopened cans of Hodgdon BP, and cannot find any indication of manufacturer or date/lot#/etc. I'm hoping to get some more information on who actually manufactured it & when, quality, etc. They are in steel cans with white plastic rip-strip-sealed lids centered on the top. The sides are painted red and there is a red & white (red background) paper label on one side with:

(Hodgdon logo)

HODGDON
BLACK
POWDER
(large white triangle with granulation printed in red)
(small print)DANGER - EXTREMELY FLAMABLE
SEE PRECAUTIONS ON BACK OF CAN

Except that there is nothing but the red paint on the back of the can. The top & bottom are unpainted plated steel (with light rust).

The Hodgdon logo has the white circle (bomb) background with the fuze burning at the 1:30 position, the outline H surmounted with a red triangle surmounted with a hooded bead front sight.

This being Canada, I would have expected some French bilingual labeling but there is none.

Help???

Joel

It will likely make smoke.I would not attribute anything else to it if its as old as I think it is.
I think they were repacking the C&H stuff that was available here at one time. It was about 60% as powerful as GOI at that time.
Dan

Hello folks been lurking around here for a while watching kindoff hated to make that first post something about "pilgrim" but anyway been shooting muzzleloaders for a long time and been out of it for a while got retired and getting back into it again. While digging through some old stuff came up with a couple cans of Hodgdon Black Powder made in Scotland. Been shooting it in a capper seems to be ok I've probably had this stuff for 30 years.

Back