• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old caplock gun?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caleb Baker

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have an old caplock gun (at least I think that's what it is) and it's been in my family for at least fifty years, possibly much longer. There are no factory stamps or anything on it and just the general appearance is very old. It's relatively thin, weighing only 2 or 3 pounds. The stock is broken so the barrel pulls off of the stock and I noticed that on the underside of the barrel where it is normally covered by the stock, there are small engravings. In order from left to right with spaces in between, they appear to say IJ with possibly a crown or something above it, 11.2, a sideways V or Y with possibly a crown above it, JD, and then GFH upside down. Those are the only markings on it I have found. I would post pictures if I knew how but I do not. If anyone knows anything about this gun at all, it would be greatly appreciated

Just found another mark that I thought was an age mark but turns out to be a sideways cursive EL. I found the NRA museum website with proof marks and it says that that exact proof mark is Belgian circa 1852 from the proof house of Liege. It says the type of proof and gun is provisional black powder proof for breech loading guns and rifled barrels. It does look like a rifle barrel. Any additional information about this would still be appreciated

Hi and welcome. Is it a breech loader or muzzle loader? Without pictures it will be difficult to Id it other than what you know about the proof marks. Posting pictures is not hard. You have to use a site like tinypic.com or Photobucket it's a free photo hosting site where you upload your pictures from your computer then download them to the forum. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/287747/

Last edited by a moderator:
image_zps4d99163a.jpg
[/URL][/img]

A few more things about it. I'm not sure if you can see but the barrel is round at its end and gradually turns into a sort of octagonal shape at the other end that mounts to the stock. I think it's all steel, including the butt plate. Not sure what type of wood the stock is made from.

It also appears to be brass or something or possibly a combination of metals where the barrel mounts to the stock as you can see in the picture
image_zps6b7f2b5b.jpg
[/URL][/img]

The kids have been playing Cowboys and Indians with it. They didn't have any caps so the nipple has been hammered flat. The hammer should have a corresponding dent so you know it is not a bitsa.

At some point the tang broke of the breeching and was brazed back on without unscrewing the breech plug, you can see where the heat travelled up the barrel.

That crown over V looks like a London View mark but where is the proof mark and where is the gauge mark? I could believe 11, but you say it is 11.2 which sounds metric so that isn't a London mark.

Nothing wrong so far. Is it walnut? How about a close up on the lock and the trigger bow finials?

The 11.2 does not show up in the picture great but the ".2" is most definitely there. It's just confusing because there are several different marks all on the same six inches of metal. Where you said the tang broke and they reattached it, that makes perfect sense now. Thanks for your time

Looks like a Belgian trade rifle to me. 11.2mm would be .440 or 44 caliber. Should have an under lug for a pin to hold the barrel to the stock through what looks like a pin hole in the stock and a front ram rod thimble that looks to be missing. Probably from the late 1800s. http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/228302/

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back