• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Old Can of Pyrodex P

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mec

45 Cal.
Reaction score

The stuff came out in 1976, went in to full distribution in 1978 and very likely didn't reach Waco, Texas until 79. That's the way things happen around here. In any case, This can came from the first shipment to reach Waco. Johnny Bates tried it out and, learing that it was no easier to clean up than black powder, put most of the can in his garage and forgot about it. It has been there ever since being exposed to temperatures ranging from minus 5 to Plus 110 and whatever moisture and humidity could get around the stopper ( little or none) Bad storage conditions.

It had the usual easily dispersed clumps that happen in older pyrodex but appeard usable. Experts- many of whom have very large genital organs and even bigger mouths, have declared that Pyrodex will become enert in a short time. We didn't know what to expect.
pyrodexold3.jpg

The difference between the two strings of six rounds could be explained by the randomness of small numbers or by routine lot to lot variation.

After the chronographing, I loaded my LePage Target pistol with the old stuff and fired one round duelist from 60 feet and another from 25 yards. They hit about an inch and a half apart on a peach can.

Experts- many of whom have very large genital organs and even bigger mouths, have declared that Pyrodex will become enert in a short time. We didn't know what to expect.

About like the often repeated old wives tale that 1:48" twist won't shoot round balls accurately...It's amazing the amount of mis-information that gets spread all over the Internet...people see a posting, take it as gospel, then they repost it as gospel when they don't personally have a clue

Every now and then I'll shoot a caplock using old leftover Pyrodex RS that's been in my garage for years and it's fine

mec where did you fine those (new) square cans. I remember the first ones were round. Still have a few and found the same you did a little clumping but other than that it works well in a shotgun and can see little or no difference than when it first came out. May be a little dirtier than the new stuff but works just the same. I use it only in my shotgun as its no good in flintlockes. My kid won't use it he likes GOEX go figure. Guess it has one think like BP it doesn't seem to go bad.
Fox :thumbsup:

Back