• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

old buddy makes meat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Here is a photo of my old rifle-making buddy with his first deer of this season...he got it with his old Hawken style rifle he made years ago--usually he hunts with a .45 poorboy he made. Deer was taken on the back of his property near Ruston, LA. Too bad he wasn't wearing his period stuff, but still a classic pic...
mackdeer.jpg

everyone usually wants to know load data: he said," It was raining a little and I opted to use my .50 Hawken "ole waugh hoss"* and I used 90 gr fffg. The trauma on the deer was awsome. He still ran about 50 yds. The heart was shredded and one half of one lung. Went clear through." *{He usually uses a flinter}

That's what it's all about to me, Mike - having fun and makin' meat when you can. It doesn't have to be complicated, and the game doesn't have to be record book. Looks like a good eatin' deer.

Used to visit Ruston sometimes - to visit NE Lousiana State University. Nice area, great folks.

Please tell your friend a kindred soul said congratulations.

Spot

Back