• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Off Center Hammer Strike

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, but own an Armi Sport 1861 Springfield and the hammer is striking off center of the cone. All screws are tight and flush with the lockplate. The hammer is not dragging on the lockplate, nor anything else when function tested. Just wondering what is the solution to this problem.

Thank You,
William R. Fabus

Maybe you could bend the hammer to make it strike squarely.
I have a cheap CVA bobcat that the hammer was hitting off center on and I removed the hammer, clamped it in a vice ans bent it a little at a time until it lined up.
Heating with a torch may be a good idea but I bent mine cold.

Huntin

William-

Is it firing reliably? If so, don't sweat the offset.

If not, cold or hot bending will help align it. BUT, you might want to purchase a spare hammer BEFORE attempting the repair. I have ran across more than on of these type of locks with voids and cracks in the casting.

Good Luck!

William,Is that the hammer that came with that musket?Reason I ask is that there were 3 diffrent hammers used on the .58 series of rifled muskets.The high arch 55 type,the 61 type and the 63 type. On the 63 the cone [nipple] is mounted about 1/4" closer to the barrel.Hammer has a left hook in it.
How much and which way does hammer need to go? Your hammer can be bent,it would need to be bent in 2 places to have the hammer strike evenly on the cone.A jig and a vice would be helpfull.Needs to be at a bright red cherry heat.Do not quench.This part is soft,let it air cool.

Jim

Thank all of you for your responses. The hammer on it is the original one-my son was using it for a reenactment and apparently bent the hammer by some type of impact. It is too far to the left(shooters view). I will try a new hammer first and see how that works.

Thanks,
Bill Fabus

Latest posts

Back